Baptists/Taking money from tithe

This is not my first time asking you a question and I have valued your responses more than you know. Thank you.
My husband's father is close to passing away. My father-in-law and mother-in-law had a very comfortable financial life for years (retired military and owning a business). Unfortunately, they literally lived by the mantra, if you have a nickel spend it and are very bad stewards of their money. They don't have a savings, retirement account, life insurance, etc.

When my father-in-law passes away, my mother-in-law will be getting a lot less money to live on. All of the siblings (including my husband) have suggested that when their father passes away that all siblings pitch in $100/month to my mother-in-law to help support her so she doesn't have to work (she's 72).

I recently quit my job to be a stay-at-home mom and we are on 1 income now and can use every penny we have. I told my husband I would rather not contribute that money because we can really use it (we have our own debts, including a mortgagee). He said we can take it out of our church tithe, that "God wouldn't mind". I said it should not come out of God's 10% because that should go toward things that work for the Lord and my husband disagreed. He asked that I research this question and see what other Believers would say.

Can you tell me if this is an appropriate subtraction from God's 10%?

Thank you for your time Mr Abrams!

Hi Rachel,
   Thank you for your kind comments and I am glad to try and help.   Of course the decision is yours to support your mother.   God tells us to honor our fathers and mothers.
   However, what we give to the Lord is a personal decision as 2 Cor. 9:6-15 explains.  The key is in verses   7-8 "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work" (2 Corinthians 9:7-8)
   The amount you give can be a tithe (10%) or whatever amount you feel led to give and that would honor the Lord.   However, what we purpose to give, as led of the Lord, is His and should not be used for other things.
   Verse six says we will reap what we sow either bountifully or, sparingly.   So considering these things and your situation you should earnestly pray the Lord would give you peace in your decision.
   I give to help my mother each month also, but a lesser amount.   I think if you pray the Lord would show you what you should do to honor your mother and the Lord.
Thanks again and if you have further questions or comments please write.
Cooper Abrams
Romans 12:1-2  

Cooper P. Abrams III

Independent Fundamental Baptist missionary and pastor, ThB, MBS, and PhD as of May 28, 2013. I began pastoring in 1981, and have taught in churches, a Bible college, and a Bible Institute. I have written numerous articles on various subjects from a biblical perspective and many are posted on my web site Bible Truth ( ). Bible Truth receives over one hundred and forty thousand visiters per month. Since 1998 I have answered Bible related questions via e-mail. My answers are straight forward and biblical. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE -----DO NOT ASK A QUESTION AND THEN NOT READ THE ANSWER! ABOUT FOUR IN TEN QUESTIONS ASKED ARE NEVER READ. I FREELY GIVE MY TIME TO GIVE HELPFUL ANSWERS. OFTEN THE ANSWER WILL REQUIRE AS MUCH AS A HOUR OR MORE TO RESEARCH AND THEN TO FORMULATE THE REPLY. IF YOU SEND A QUESTION PLEASE BE THOUGHTFUL ENOUGH TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT. MOST PEOPLE DO...BUT ALL SHOULD. THANKS

I have been a pastor since 1981 and a Independent Baptist missionary church planter since 1986. I have seen the Lord establish four Bible believing churches in Utah. My web site Bible Truth ( http:\\ ) continues to grow presently over 7,000 visiters per day. The materials on the web site are mostly written by myself and contain sermons, Bible commentaries, articles on various biblical subjects.

I am pastor of Calvary Baptist Church, Tremonoton, Utah (

- Appeared on Grizzly Adams DVD documentary "End Times: How Close Are We?" ( - Article "Are Mormons Christians" "O Timothy Magazine" Way of Life Literature (

ThB (Bachelor Degree in Theology) Piedmont Bible College, Winston-Salem, NC. MBS (Mastor of Biblical Studies) Piedmont Baptist College, Winston-Salem, NC. PhD (Bible) Bethany Divinity College and Seminary, Dothan, AL

Graduated Suma Com Laude with PhD Religion - Bible Major, Bethany Divinity College and Seminary - 2013