Baptists/After Death

Good day was hoping you could help me clarify things, what to your research of the bible happens after death.

My understanding:
1st beginning with the soul, which is not immortal,(dies in sin, or lives in christ),in the bible being dead is seen as being asleep so when we die our breath goes back to God so then we are no more consider Ecc. 9 v5,for it is said that in Genesis that man has become a living soul,thus two elements the earth(our fleshy body) and the breath of God,through this we become a living soul so if you remove the one then the living soul ceases to exit consider Ps 146 v4, Ps. 6 v 5,acts 13 v36,Mark5 v9. Through theswe texts and some more I found that we arnt judged yet but only on the day of judgement(as in Rev),thus when we die we nether go consciously into heaven or hell.

Another ref is that only Moses and Eljah was with Jesus appearing to the prophets thus only them two were in heaven(thus from start of humanity only these two are living in heaven)

But,what I don't understand is the reference to Lazarus and the rich man, as I read the rich man ask for water from Abraham indicating that he is very hot place,hell, and that Abraham and Lazarus is not there and that the gap between the two is unthinkable, thus if we die and then after we cease to exist until the day of judgment then how does one example this reference of Lazarus?

Will appreciate your reply,thanks in clarify this for me.

Hi Gawyne,
  Your's is a good question.

DEATH. The basic meaning of death is separation. It has three different usages in the Bible in reference to man:
1. Spiritual death--separation from God because of sin (Ep. 2:1; Jn. 5:24; Col. 2:13).
2. Physical death--separation of the spirit from the body (Mt. 2:15; Ge. 35:18; Jam. 2:26).
3. Eternal death or Second death--the final, eternal separation of the unsaved from God and life (Re. 20:14; 21:8; 2 Th. 1:9).
1. DEATH IS A JOURNEY. Some false teachers say that death is a sleep, but according to the Bible, death is a journey. The body sleeps, but the spirit of man journeys either to Heaven or to Hell. The O.T. teaches that death is a journey (Ge. 25:8; 35:18; Nu. 27:13; 2 Sa. 12:23; 1 Ki. 17:21-22).
The N.T. also teaches that death is a departure of the spirit from the body to another conscious realm of existence.
(1) The body is distinct from the spirit. "I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless..." (1 Th. 5:23; see also Mk. 14:38; 1 Co. 6:20; 2 Co. 12:2).
(2) It is the body which is said to die. "For as the body without the spirit is dead..." (Jam. 2:26).
(3) Paul's testimony was that death is a journey. "Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord ... we are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord" (2 Co. 5:6-7; see also Ph. 1:23,24; 2 Ti. 4:6).
(4) Peter testified that at death he would put off his body. "Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me" (2 Pe. 1:14).
(5) Jesus' promise to the thief on the cross shows that death is a departure. "And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise" (Lk. 23:43).
(6) The story of Lazarus and the rich man shows that death is a departure. The proper names Jesus used in this story prove He was speaking of a real historical scene, rather than of a fictitious parable. Yet, even if it be allowed that this was a parable, it would still teach literal truth as did all of Christ's parables. "...the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; and in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments..." (Lk. 16:22-23).
(7) The dead saints are said to return with Christ from heaven at the time of the resurrection and rapture of the saved. This shows that dead saints go to Heaven at death. "For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him" (1 Th. 4:14).

(8) John's heavenly visions show dead saints in Heaven prior to the resurrection and during the Great Tribulation on earth (Re. 6:9-11).
(9) Moses' and Elijah's appearance on the Mount of Transfiguration proves that the dead have conscious existence between death and resurrection. That Peter and the other Apostles who were present were not just seeing a future millennial scene is demonstrated by the fact that Moses and Elijah were speaking with the Lord Jesus about His approaching death. Moses and Elijah, though dead, were allowed by God to appear in time on that mountain and to converse about events which were soon to take place in Jerusalem (Mt. 17:1-3; Lk. 9:30-31).
Scripture teaches that man has a spirit or soul which departs from his body at death and which lives eternally either in Heaven or in Hell.

I hope this helps.  If you have further comments or questions please write.
Cooper Abrams

Cooper P. Abrams III

Independent Fundamental Baptist missionary and pastor, ThB, MBS, and PhD as of May 28, 2013. I began pastoring in 1981, and have taught in churches, a Bible college, and a Bible Institute. I have written numerous articles on various subjects from a biblical perspective and many are posted on my web site Bible Truth ( ). Bible Truth receives over one hundred and forty thousand visiters per month. Since 1998 I have answered Bible related questions via e-mail. My answers are straight forward and biblical. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE -----DO NOT ASK A QUESTION AND THEN NOT READ THE ANSWER! ABOUT FOUR IN TEN QUESTIONS ASKED ARE NEVER READ. I FREELY GIVE MY TIME TO GIVE HELPFUL ANSWERS. OFTEN THE ANSWER WILL REQUIRE AS MUCH AS A HOUR OR MORE TO RESEARCH AND THEN TO FORMULATE THE REPLY. IF YOU SEND A QUESTION PLEASE BE THOUGHTFUL ENOUGH TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT. MOST PEOPLE DO...BUT ALL SHOULD. THANKS

I have been a pastor since 1981 and a Independent Baptist missionary church planter since 1986. I have seen the Lord establish four Bible believing churches in Utah. My web site Bible Truth ( http:\\ ) continues to grow presently over 7,000 visiters per day. The materials on the web site are mostly written by myself and contain sermons, Bible commentaries, articles on various biblical subjects.

I am pastor of Calvary Baptist Church, Tremonoton, Utah (

- Appeared on Grizzly Adams DVD documentary "End Times: How Close Are We?" ( - Article "Are Mormons Christians" "O Timothy Magazine" Way of Life Literature (

ThB (Bachelor Degree in Theology) Piedmont Bible College, Winston-Salem, NC. MBS (Mastor of Biblical Studies) Piedmont Baptist College, Winston-Salem, NC. PhD (Bible) Bethany Divinity College and Seminary, Dothan, AL

Graduated Suma Com Laude with PhD Religion - Bible Major, Bethany Divinity College and Seminary - 2013