Baptists/Jesud and God

Question
I have a question relating to some verses I have read. I was hoping you could provide an answer for me

Can you please explain just who Jesus is in relation to God.  Is he the Almighty, is one   individual that makes up the Almighty, if he is one of three individual that makes up the Almighty, Are he and The Father and the Holy Ghost all considered to be Gods in their own right. Or is Jesus one aspect of  the One God.

So when we read God in the Bible just who is that referring to?  This has to do with the following verses as they  seem to be saying Jesus had a God the same God that his followers had

John 2:17  Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Colossians 1:3 We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,

Thank you for your time

Answer
Brenton, thank you for your question. The Trinity is hard for people to understand but that is because they make it hard. The word "trinity" is not found in the bible, but that does not mean the doctrine is not there. I prefer the word, "tri-unity"-God is one unity, but He manifests Himself in three persons. This is a doctrine that is rarely understood even by Christians who supposedly believe it, or its impact upon our lives.

Genesis 1:26 shows this tri-unity which states "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." Brenton, notice the terminology, the plural pronouns  "us make,"  "in our image," and "our likeness."  The "us' refers to the three persons of the trinity or tri-unity.  The trinity is present in the Old Testament b ut implied.

The New Testament does bring God (Father), the Son (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Spirit together in such a way as to strongly imply the Trinitarian nature of God. Three Scriptures are quoted below as a summary of the many other biblical passages that bring together the three Persons of the Godhead. One Scripture is from the Gospels, another is from the apostle Paul and a third is from the apostle Peter. The words in each passage referring to each of the three Persons are italicized to emphasize their Trinitarian implication:

All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit [Matthew 28:19].

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all [2 Corinthians 13:14].

To God’s elect. . .who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood [1 Peter 1:1-2].

Here are three passages in Scripture, one on the lips of Jesus, and the other two from leading apostles, each bringing together the three Persons of the Godhead in an unmistakable way.

Here are some more verses you can read:  Romans 14:17-18; 15:16;1 Corinthians 2:2-5; 6:11; 12:4-6; 2 Corinthians 1:21-22;Galatians 4:6; Ephesians 2:18-22; 3:14-19; Ephesians 4:4-6; Colossians 1:6-8;1Thessalonians 1:3-5; 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14; Titus 3:4-6.
You can read more verses about the Trinity: Gen 3:22;Isa 6:3;Isa 6:8;Isa 42:1;Isa 48:16;Isa 61:1-3;Isa 63:9; Mat 1:18; Mat 1:20; Mat 3:11; Mat 12:28; Luk 1:35: Luk 3:22; Luk  4:1; Luk 4:14; Jn 1:21-33; Jn 3:34-35; Jn 7:39; Jn 14:16-17; Jn 14:26; Jn 15:26; Jn 16:7; Jn 16:13-15; Jn 20:22; Act 1:2-5; Act 2:23; Act 10:36-38; Rom 1:3-4; Rom 8:9-11; 1 Cr 2:10-11; 1 Cr 6:19; 1Cr 8:6; 1 Cr 12:3-6; 2 Cr 1:21; 2 Cr 3:17; Gal. 4:4; Phi 1:19; 2Th 2:16; 1 Ti 3:15;Heb 9:14; 1 Pet1:2; 1 Pet 3:18; 1Jn 5:6; Rev. 4:8.

You stated “So when we read God in the Bible just who is that referring to? This has to do with the following verses as they seem to be saying Jesus had a God the same God that his followers had

John 2:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.”

The verse you are talking about is not Jn 2:17 but Jn 20:17 which does state “Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.”

Tenny tells the answer when he states “Jesus was not protesting that Mary should not touch Him lest He be defiled, but was admonishing her not to detain Him because He would see her and the disciples again.”
When Jesus said “for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God,” he is pointing out a difference between His relationship with God and the disciples' relationship with God.

You mentioned "1 Cr 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God."

Here “head” shows principles of headship, order, authority, and accountability. The headship shows voluntary submission in which man  submits to  Christ, women submit to the man, and Christ submits to God.

You stated, “Colossians 1:3 We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you.”  Paul wrote this in response of what is called the Colossian Heresy in which  there was a  corruption of Christianity with elements of mystical and legalistic Judaism perhaps combined early Gnosticism in Colossi. Paul was giving thanks to God and the Father of Lord Jesus Christ full of gratitude for their staying true to the gospel and praying always for them.

I hope this helps as I have given you plenty of verses to research for yourself to increase.

Blessings,

Dr Don Howe  

Baptists

Dr Don Howe