Baptists/sabbathty

Question
Are we as Christians still responsible to keep the Sabbath as some make the argument were the bible says in the N.T that we will not be held responsible according to new moons and Sabbath, but so saying was the Sabbath not ordained by God since the creature so thus the argument that it was given to the jews alone is false cause it was in place before the law and the jew nation. So are we suppose to keep the Sabbath and if so,which day exactly is the Sabbath because the jews regard it as Saturday while most Christian regard it as sunday???

Confused Christian please help?

Answer
Hello Gawynne,
Thank you for your question. It is a subject about which genuine Christians disagree to a measure but I will share my own views.
First of all there is nowhere in scripture that identifies the Sabbath with a Sunday. The practice of some Christians to regard a Sunday as the Sabbath developed later but it is not biblical. Sunday is described as the Lord's Day and was the day in which Jewish Christians worshipped as Christians after the Sabbath; a practice that Gentile believers adopted.
Secondly Paul seems to be clear that for Gentile believers the literal keeping a Sabbaths is not required.
Although the day God rested from creation was known as the Sabbath it was not designated by God as a day of rest until the ten commandments so is part of the law.
To me it seems clear that the principle of Sabbath is important, that is the proper place of rest for the human being for a balanced and healthy life.
However there is no indication in the New Testament that this has to be observed by keeping a particular 'Holy' day.
A writer called RT Kendall has written an excellent book on the commandments and deals with the subject very well. I recommend that you read it if you can get hold of a copy. It is very good.
I hope these comments are helpful.
May God bless you.
Stuart Woodward

Baptists

Rev. Stuart Woodward