Baptists/2 Timothy 2:16-18 and Hebrews 6:1

Hi Pastor Abrams!

I have 2 questions, I hope that is OK.

My first question is about 2 Timothy 2:16-18. Tonight I was involved in conversation about a scientific theory. Really, it was just a discussion about a "useless fact". I felt uncomfortable in the conversation because it felt so futile to discuss such a thing for so long. So I was wondering if 2 Timothy 2:16 would apply to this type of conversation or if Paul was referring to people who talk about Jesus wrong.

My second question comes from reading Hebrews 6:1, where we're told to move on from the basics of our faith. This really opened my eyes. I wanted to know if you have any suggestions about growing beyond the basics. I feel like I'm having a hard time getting beyond the basics and digging deeper. What does "digging deeper" look like?
A little background: I attend church every Sunday (as long as our little one isn't sick) and a Bible study group every week. I'm in the Word at home about 5-6 days a week, not everyday. I'm on-track to finish the Bible-In-A-Year study from home. My husband isn't a practicing Christian, so there is no encouragement from that end. Thank you for any guidance, as always!

Hi Rachel,
 Verse 15 gives the context of verse 16, which is the propane and vain babbling.  It is talking about Gods word.  In other words giving one's opinion instead of what scripture literally says.  
 Digging deeper is somewhat misleading.  If we study the scriptures accepting what the passage says and being obedient to it we are following the lord.  As we learn and obey we grow in maturity in Christ.   It is  gradual process.  As you study and apply the word you better understand live by God's will.  Hope this helps.
Cooper Abrams
Rom. 12:1-2

Cooper P. Abrams III

Independent Fundamental Baptist missionary and pastor, ThB, MBS, and PhD as of May 28, 2013. I began pastoring in 1981, and have taught in churches, a Bible college, and a Bible Institute. I have written numerous articles on various subjects from a biblical perspective and many are posted on my web site Bible Truth ( ). Bible Truth receives over one hundred and forty thousand visiters per month. Since 1998 I have answered Bible related questions via e-mail. My answers are straight forward and biblical. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE -----DO NOT ASK A QUESTION AND THEN NOT READ THE ANSWER! ABOUT FOUR IN TEN QUESTIONS ASKED ARE NEVER READ. I FREELY GIVE MY TIME TO GIVE HELPFUL ANSWERS. OFTEN THE ANSWER WILL REQUIRE AS MUCH AS A HOUR OR MORE TO RESEARCH AND THEN TO FORMULATE THE REPLY. IF YOU SEND A QUESTION PLEASE BE THOUGHTFUL ENOUGH TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT. MOST PEOPLE DO...BUT ALL SHOULD. THANKS

I have been a pastor since 1981 and a Independent Baptist missionary church planter since 1986. I have seen the Lord establish four Bible believing churches in Utah. My web site Bible Truth ( http:\\ ) continues to grow presently over 7,000 visiters per day. The materials on the web site are mostly written by myself and contain sermons, Bible commentaries, articles on various biblical subjects.

I am pastor of Calvary Baptist Church, Tremonoton, Utah (

- Appeared on Grizzly Adams DVD documentary "End Times: How Close Are We?" ( - Article "Are Mormons Christians" "O Timothy Magazine" Way of Life Literature (

ThB (Bachelor Degree in Theology) Piedmont Bible College, Winston-Salem, NC. MBS (Mastor of Biblical Studies) Piedmont Baptist College, Winston-Salem, NC. PhD (Bible) Bethany Divinity College and Seminary, Dothan, AL

Graduated Suma Com Laude with PhD Religion - Bible Major, Bethany Divinity College and Seminary - 2013