Baptists/divorce women teachers

Question
Is there any thing in the bible against women teaching Sunday school.w

Answer
Hi Juanita,
Thanks for the question. I pray the response will help as you seek to find your place serving the Lord.

Principles regarding divorce apply equally to men and women, in terms of any service in the church. While there are no specific scriptures to deny a divorced woman from teaching Sunday School, there are some basic spiritual disciplines that need to occur prior to assuming responsibility of service, as you may well imagine.

Have you repented of the sin of divorce, and reconciled your relationship with the Lord? Are you living your life today, as one committed to purity and righteousness before the Lord? If you answer yes, and are prepared to offer the Lord a clean vessel, there is no biblical reason to prohibit you from teaching Sunday School.

As a woman however, (divorced, married or single) there IS a scriptural prohibition against teaching men.  As God has told us through the Apostle Paul, “I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.”  1 Timothy 2:12

I serve as a Sunday School teacher in my home church. My class consists of senior high school youth, male and female.  There are additional women teachers who work with the other youth class divisions. My husband along with other male leaders, teach the adult classes of male and female. None of the women in our church serve in positions where men are under their teaching.

If God has blessed you with the gift of teaching, and you have a problem using the gift in your church, remember-—there is a huge ministry field outside of the church where your gift is needed, and will be welcome.  Ask the Lord where He would have you serve, and then wait for Him to lead you to the open door.

Beyond my service as Sunday School teacher, my other areas of service include (or have included) Church Clerk and Housekeeper servant; a number of secretary positions with other church organizations and auxiliaries outside of my home church; in the community, a volunteer discipleship trainer, working with new converts at one of the homeless shelters in our area that houses women and children; speaker for women’s conferences and workshops; assistant to my husband in his ministry to men.

There is a scripture to support this guidance I am giving you.  In Titus 2:3, through Paul, God gives this direction to Titus, as he works to establish the churches at Crete:
Likewise, teach the older [spiritually mature, not age-related] women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.  [In other words, women should teach other women and children, in the ways of the Lord].

One thing I will caution you about though-- if you are being denied and feel the need to force your way into a position of service, that is not God’s call for you. When God calls us to serve Him, He not only prepares us for the work, He opens the door and INVITES us to come in.

I think you will enjoy the ministry resource God wrote using my hands a few years ago. I have recently published a revised edition on Amazon.com  -- the title is God’s Unique Calling to Women ( A scriptural perspective on life, relationships and ministry), by Brenda Rucker.  Amazon offers a free Kindle reader app for those who do not own electronic readers, so you can download the app and read the book on your smartphone, laptop, desktop or tablet device. the book is also available in print--let me know if you would like one sent to you.

I pray my response helps you move forward in your service to the Lord.
Please get back and let me know.

God bless,
Brenda Rucker  

Baptists

Brenda Rucker