Baptists/annulment

Question
you said the bible does not have annulment in it anywhere on the previous page I found it in kfv and other version, numbers 30:13 I feel and I do study the bible that this explains annulment. It says a husband may nulify any affliction he feels is wrong with the wife. in several different verses Just wanted to bring to your attention.

Answer
It does not mean an annulment as in a marriage. If my wife vowed to give the church $50,000 and I do not have it or I think it is too much I can nullify her vow as the head of the home.  That is why the vow of a widow or one divorced in the previous verses has to pay their vows as they are not under the authority or protection of a husband that can nullify it.  

There is marriage and divorce, but no such thing as an annulment.  If a person commits adultery in the OT they are stoned to death and then the one left is free to marry.  Even in Puritan times there was a divorce decree, but it was unecessary as the adulterer was put to death so innocent one was free to marry because they are not a true divorcee, but a widow/widower.  

Besides we are in the NT now and 1 Cor 7 says that you can separate and work it out and come back together again or you can divorce and remain celibate.  There is no annulment.  

If two believers come to the altar there is no grounds for divorce like we see today. Every time we sin we commit spiritual adultery and we do not want God to divorce us.  God and us are very incompatible and yet He choses to stay with us.  If two believers divorce then they are to stay single and celibate.  You can separate until there can be reconciliation or indeed if there is abuse involved, but if there can be no reconciliation then there is protection for the "innocent" party by staying single as well as for the "guilty".  

Now, if two lost people marry and one gets saved there is a possibility the the lost mate will not want to stay because of conviction of sin from the other's change in their life.  The Christian should seek to maintain the marriage, but if the lost one leaves God will not hold His child responsible for what the devil's kid did.  Now, if the saved one drives off the lost one on purpose in order to get a Christian mate then I belive it would be sin for the saved one to remarry for God will not honor that divorce as He would if the saved did all they could do to perserve the marriage.

Nowhere in the NT will you find anything about an anulment and I don't see it in the OT as well.  Marriage is a big thing to God and not to be entered into or exited from lightly. You become one flesh and enter into a soul tie as well.  If you cut a person in half you will kill them and in divorce there is a type of death involved.  That pain is often carried on into the next relationship and that is why there are so many people legally married numerous times or soul tied by sex, which is considred a one flesh relationship in God's eyes even if it is a one night stand making more people polygamists whether the law sees it as such or not.   

Keep studying, but seek to keep Scripture in context and be sure you see what it says rather than seeing in it what you want it to say.  That is an easy trap to fall into so may God grant you wisdom and discerment as you seek His will!

Baptists

Dr. Ronald E. Shultz