Baptists/RE: Paul's Actions

QUESTION: Within 1 Corinthians 9, there's a segment where Paul talks about himself becoming like others to win them over to Christ - v.19-23. Was he being a different person to different people? Is this how we are also suppose to be in order to reach out to those of different customs or what not?

Thank you,

ANSWER: Hi Eric,
  Yours is a good question.   What Paul did was try to relate to different people in a way that was familiar to them and not offensive.   He respected their customs and culture so that he would be able to converse with them in an courteous way.  Certainly, you cannot witness and have any testimony with someone you have insulted or not shown respect to.
  Some have tried to take the principle too far and say for example if you wanted to win someone who was drinking you would join with them in drinking.  Drinking would  not present a good witness to some who is drinking.  Using tact and common sense you could converse with them without making them feel uncomfortable.  You do not need to get in the gutter to witness to someone who is in the gutter.  But you do not approach them with a superior demeanor or in a condemning way.  A Christian can show genuine love and care for someone which would cause the one being witnessed to have confidence in the one seeking to win them.
   I often witness to the Mormons, but I do so with respect and do not demean or criticize them.   I don't focus of the false teachings of Mormonism but on what the Bible says.  I avoid even talking about Mormonism.   I do not witness to people without asking them would it be all right to share something from God's word with them.   I am also sensitive to whether they are interested or not.  If I detect they are not interested....I back off.
    Hope this helps.  If you have further questions or comments please write.
Cooper Abrams
Romans 12:1-2

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your response. I have another question in addition to the previous question.
In 1 Corinthians 8:7 Paul talks about the weak conscience of those who don't know the freedom in Christ they have. Later, he goes on to say that for the sake of the weak, "[he] will never eat meat, lest [he] make [his] brother stumble" (1Cor 8:13). So, does this mean that if people see drinking,or anything really, as something wrong or even going to a bar as wrong, then for their sake we should forsake that?

Thank you,

You are correct.   Christians should not drink or attend bars because it is sinful and this was not what  Paul was not talking about that.  He would never drink to appease someone who drinks, or commit any sin for any reason.
   What he was talking about was that the Jews and some immature Gentile believers did not eat meat that had blood in it or that was brought in the market from a store run by a pagan temple.  Paul in 1 Corinthian 8 explains that idols are gods the do not exist and are nothing.   Basically he said the meat was not tainted by being offered to an idol and so it was nothing to eat that meat.  However, it a weaker brother thought is was sin, then Paul said he would never eat that meat least it offend is Christian brother and cause him to stumble in the faith.
  Thanks for your question
Cooper Abrams
Romans 12:1-2

Cooper P. Abrams III

Independent Fundamental Baptist missionary and pastor, ThB, MBS, and PhD as of May 28, 2013. I began pastoring in 1981, and have taught in churches, a Bible college, and a Bible Institute. I have written numerous articles on various subjects from a biblical perspective and many are posted on my web site Bible Truth ( ). Bible Truth receives over one hundred and forty thousand visiters per month. Since 1998 I have answered Bible related questions via e-mail. My answers are straight forward and biblical. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE -----DO NOT ASK A QUESTION AND THEN NOT READ THE ANSWER! ABOUT FOUR IN TEN QUESTIONS ASKED ARE NEVER READ. I FREELY GIVE MY TIME TO GIVE HELPFUL ANSWERS. OFTEN THE ANSWER WILL REQUIRE AS MUCH AS A HOUR OR MORE TO RESEARCH AND THEN TO FORMULATE THE REPLY. IF YOU SEND A QUESTION PLEASE BE THOUGHTFUL ENOUGH TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT. MOST PEOPLE DO...BUT ALL SHOULD. THANKS

I have been a pastor since 1981 and a Independent Baptist missionary church planter since 1986. I have seen the Lord establish four Bible believing churches in Utah. My web site Bible Truth ( http:\\ ) continues to grow presently over 7,000 visiters per day. The materials on the web site are mostly written by myself and contain sermons, Bible commentaries, articles on various biblical subjects.

I am pastor of Calvary Baptist Church, Tremonoton, Utah (

- Appeared on Grizzly Adams DVD documentary "End Times: How Close Are We?" ( - Article "Are Mormons Christians" "O Timothy Magazine" Way of Life Literature (

ThB (Bachelor Degree in Theology) Piedmont Bible College, Winston-Salem, NC. MBS (Mastor of Biblical Studies) Piedmont Baptist College, Winston-Salem, NC. PhD (Bible) Bethany Divinity College and Seminary, Dothan, AL

Graduated Suma Com Laude with PhD Religion - Bible Major, Bethany Divinity College and Seminary - 2013