Baptists/commion

Question
do  you have to be  baptize  to partake in  holy  commion?

Answer
Roger, thanks for your question. This is a hard question. You are asking "do you have to be baptized to partake in holy communion" and the key word is HAVE TO.  Let’s ask it this way to break this down. Do you have to be baptized and the answer is “yes.” To be saved one has to ask Jesus into their heart, confess that Jesus is their Lord and Savior, and then you are saved. Baptism is an ordinance of the Church where the new saved believer is identifying to the Church of the Salvation experience he/she has had and the congregation is celebrating with them their new change. The Baptism does not save anybody. Some high churches believe that Baptism saves but this is false doctrine.
If a person  becomes baptized, he is identifying himself as a saved believer of a congregation or church community and the Lord’s Supper is for saved believers who are identifying with Christ. If the person is truly saved he would not want to take the Lord’s Supper unless he is saved and baptized. But some “saved believers” say they are saved but they live like the devil, and they will take Communion. But only God can judge their hearts and they will have to answer to Him.
But some churches will have closed Communion in which the Pastor will give the Lord’s Supper only to baptized members of their church. If the Pastor is giving the Lord’s Supper to a 1,000 member church at the same time, he is not going to know if each and every member is baptized and saved. Some churches have open communion who offer the Lord’s Supper to all members of the same faith and who are born again believers and who are baptized. I prefer the open communion and let God be judge of their hearts.
To get back to your question “do you HAVE TO be baptized to partake communion” and the answer is “no.” Communion is and always should be based upon 1 Cor.: 11:27-28  which states “Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup.” David Guzik states if correctly “Paul is warning the Corinthian Christians to treat the Lord's Supper with reverence, and to practice it in a spirit of self-examination. However, this is not written with the thought of excluding ourselves from the table, but of preparing us to receive with the right heart “(emphasis is mine). I emphasized the main points of what David Guzik was saying. We should self-examine ourselves before taking the Lord’s Supper and maintain the reverence that Lord Jesus deserves when He gave us this gift. If a Christian is in sin and stubbornly unrepentant and takes Communion  he/she  “are mocking what Jesus did on the cross to cleanse them from their sin” (David Guzik).
Paul states in 1Cor. 11:29 “For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.” Here,  Paul is talking keeping the Lord’s Supper as something that deserves reverence. When we partake of the Lord’s Supper without examining ourselves we are “eateth and drinketh unworthily”. Christians that profess salvation (“I’ve been baptized so I can take Communion”) and do not possess salvation (“I am a sinner saved by grace and saved by the blood of the Lamb”) are partaking Communion unworthily also.
“Eateh and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body” is exhibiting irrelevant behavior at the Lord’s Table and inviting corrective action (damnation to himself) by God.  This taking the Lord’s Supper in an unworthy manner goes back to what I said “But some “saved believers” say they are saved but they live like the devil, and they will take Communion. But only God can judge their hearts and they will have to answer to Him.” This corrective action (damnation to himself) is God’s judgment and corrective action.  Being baptized has nothing to do with taking the Lord’s Supper in an worthy manner, it just means you are a sinner saved by grace because of the blood of the Lamb, identify with a local congregation that you are saved, and you participate with the congregation in celebrating the gift of the body and blood of the Lord Jesus and what he did on the cross for us by partaking in the Lord’s Supper. Gets kinda deep don’t it.
But again, a baptized saved person will want to take the Lord’s Supper in a worthy manner and keep the Lord’s Supper reverent.  Baptism is not a blank check condition that one has to obtain to take Lord’s Supper.  Being born again is the blank check to be  worthy.
I have been with patients that I  have lead  to the  Lord  and they have confessed their sin, asked God to forgive them of their sin,  and accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior while on their death bed. I could not baptized them due to being on their death bed in ICU, but because of their confession of sin (this the key word) to God and accepting Jesus as Lord, they were reverent and worthy, I gave them Communion.
Roger, I hope this helps.
Blessings,
Rev. Dr Don Howe, RN, PhD, ThD

Baptists

Dr Don Howe