Baptists/Can Jesus be tempted?

Question
If Jesus is still fully God and fully Man can he still be tempted like he could when he was on earth?

Also: Does God love Satan and should a Christian love Satan?

Thank you.

Answer
Howdy, Ray! Theologians have been trying to understand what they call the hypostatic union of God and man for a long time.  There are some things we will never be able to understand in their entirety until we get there because of our finite brains that just can't wrap around some of His attributes, character and policies.  I suspect that should be expected of the God who made us in His image, but not carbon copies or clones.   

Remember God made a seed/sperm cell that was not only the DNA of man in order for it to be able to fertilize Mary's egg, but also no sin nature.  This basically put Christ in the same position as Adam before the Fall. However, it was not the body that made Adam fall, but rather his heart which was run by his soul and spirit.  Jesus' soul and spirit would be Divine since He was Deity. Thus, He would be unable to sin, but He would experience all the temptations of the flesh. He still had Mary's DNA as well.  How that mixed we shall never truly know.  She was a carrier of the sin nature, but not the transmitter, somewhat like Typhoid Mary for lack of a better example. Thus, He possibly had some of her features and even some of her other attributes.

His flesh felt everything we do.  He experienced pain, thirst, hunger, etc.  We are not told of any other specific temptations other than those in the wilderness with the devil, but all three of those were the roots of all other temptations.  He was tempted with the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life and did not succumb.  So He was tempted by the father of temptation in the three root areas of all temptations and did not yield.  If He never had another temptation He would have been tempted in all points such as we suffer.  

Some things were not called temptations in Scripture, but He did suffer sorrow in the Garden, betrayal by two close associates, shame, mockery, etc, etc.  He could have handled all of those in a much different manner, but then He would have strayed from the Father's plan and we would be undone.  He had righteous anger, but He did nothing to His accusers or His abusers, but rather forgave them.  I don't think you ro I would have been so kind.  I would have been more apt to call in 12000 Marine angels and have them rock and roll in that town sparing only the innocent.  

So was He fully God and fully man.  Indeed!  That was the only way He could have saved us.  There was no kinsman redeemer for all mankind was bankrupt thus no one could pay our debt.  Can I break that hypostatic union into fine points.  No, my attempt will probably be pretty weak when it will be compared to what we will know then. That is how it should be since God is strong on us having faith/trust.  In many things He gives us just enough to not have what unbelievers call blind faith or fantasy, but not the whole nine yards so that we have to trust Him with the details until He sees fit to give them. Most of those things will be perfectly clear at the Rapture although we have something like a "lunch and learn" at the Marriage Supper where we will rejoice and also be awed by what He shares with us.

1 Cor 1:20-21

20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. KJV

God also uses the faith factor to make foolish the wise of this world who would want to put God under a microscope and dissect Him. Anyway, on to question 2.

Christians should not have any love for satan at all.  He is the enemy of God and man and he has no excuse.  He was the covering cherbub who saw the Triune God, Heaven and all that was good for who knows how many years, maybe trillions.  We are to love our earthly enemies for they like us are sinners.  We are just saved by grace and they are still being deceived by the devil and his minions. Sometime we still listen to the enemy when we are not close to God.  We should love them, but hate their works and the enemy that is influencing them.  Remember the weapons of our warfare are spiritual and not carnal.

Does God love satan? I do not know of a passage that says God hates anyone.  He hates their works. He gets anry at them.  He will judge them that hate Him, but nothing comes to mind that He hates the person.  God created angels and man good. he cannot create except out of love for He has no needs. I have often wondered if the worse part of Hell might be mental more so than physical and that physical is given to ease the mental torment.  

Hab 3:2 O LORD, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy. KJV

Prov 18:14 The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear?
KJV

We have all heard marvelous stories of people who have endured great physical sufferings, but throughout the ordeal have had great attitudes and even praised God while those are going through periods of a wounded spirit are the ones most likely to lose hope and commit suicide.

The demons will have to remember through eternity what they gave up.  Humans will be shown at the GWT all the opportunities they had to be saved and turned away from it.  That will be mental anguish enough, but what if to top it off that they do not see the face of an angry judge sending them to Hell, but rather the same look Peter got from Jesus after the third cock crowed? That should send the mental anguish through the roof for both fallen angel and unsaved human. So what if God in His infinite mercy made Hell a physical suffering as well as mental to in some sense balance the punishment to mitigate the mental anguish a bit because He still loves His creation even the ones who rebelled and the ones who rejected His love?  I don't know, but if we are to be holy as He is holy and we are told to love our enemies then it does not seem far fetched for Him to love satan and the lost though He must judge them.

Hopefully, this has been of some help to you.  Keep studying and seeking Him in His Word and litening for the still small voice!  Maranatha!  

Baptists

Dr. Ronald E. Shultz