Baptists/"why call me good"

Why did Jesus say "Why call ye me good? None is good but God alone" ?    Thank you.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for this great question.  Let's look at the passage in question"

“And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.” (Luke 18:19, AV)

Jesus is calling out the Pharasee who called Him Good Master...  you see the Pharisee did not believe that Jesus was God, but he was trying to placate the folks around him by making nice to Jesus.  So Christ called him on it... He was saying that by calling Jesus Good Master, He was acknowledging the fact that indeed Jesus was God.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don  

Pastor Don Carpenter

I believe that every word of the Bible is God-Breathed. This blessed book is the foundation of truth for faith and practice. If you ask this volunteer a question you will receive an answer from the Bible that is based upon a litteral, normal interpretation, taking into account the grammar and culture of the time.

I have been in the ministry almost 20 years. During this time, the Lord has used me as Senior Pastor, counsellor, youth pastor and generally in the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry.

Professor at New England School of the Bible - Southington CT

The Revival Chronicles

BS in Bible Baptist Bible College of Clarks Summit, PA