Baptists/"why call me good"

Question
Why did Jesus say "Why call ye me good? None is good but God alone" ?    Thank you.

Answer
Hi Ray,

Thanks for this great question.  Let's look at the passage in question"

“And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.” (Luke 18:19, AV)

Jesus is calling out the Pharasee who called Him Good Master...  you see the Pharisee did not believe that Jesus was God, but he was trying to placate the folks around him by making nice to Jesus.  So Christ called him on it... He was saying that by calling Jesus Good Master, He was acknowledging the fact that indeed Jesus was God.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don  

Baptists

Pastor Don Carpenter