Baptists/Communion

Question
Recently in our Southern Baptist Church, we observed The Lord's Supper. My problem was it was served in "the Jewish tradition". (One cup of juice or wine, one loaf of bread). Partakers would come forward, break off a piece of bread and then dip into the chalice, and then eat the soaked bread. My question relates to Southern Baptists by-laws, do the by- laws cover the manner in which The Lord's Supper is conducted, if it does please tell me where.

Answer
Good Morning Jerry, in the Southern Baptist Convention bylaws it does not list explicitly how the Lord's Supper is to be done. Each Pastor and church can orchestrate the Lord's Supper in different ways, but the Order of Administration is very biblically explicit as noted in:
1 COR. 11:23-29; 1 COR. 10:16; LUKE 22:19-20; MARK 14:22-26; MATT. 26:26-30.

In these verses it, the order of administration is the body (bread) first and the blood (wine or grape juice) second. I always use wafers and grape juice. I know in liturgical churches like Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Missouri Synod Lutheran Church, etc, may use real bread and wine. That is okay. But the order still remains the body first and the blood next.

I like using separate wafers and separated grape juice containers as there is no cross contamination of germs. You do not to have worry about whether people have washed their hands or not.

But when you have a big piece of bread and everyone takes a piece they are handling it with their hands and passing on to the next person. No one knows if their hands are clean. You can have open cuts, sores, etc and they are handling that bread and passing to the next person. You would not know.

Same with the a chalice that has wine in it. Everyone is drinking a little wine out of the chalice and putting their mouth on it. The Pastor or Priest may wipe off with a rag but the chalice has still been contaminated. You do not know if someone has H1NI flu, colds, Hepatiatis A OR C, or EBOLA. For me this is a real issue.

If your Pastor wants to use one cup of wine and let everyone drink from it and one loaf of bread that is his PREROGATIVE but the order of the adminstration has to be the same the body of Christ first and blood of Christ second which is biblical.

If you have concerns about cross contamination of everyone handling the bread and drinking the wine voice them to him.

I hope this helps.

Blessings to you.

Dr Don Howe, RN, PhD, ThD, CARN  

Baptists

Dr Don Howe