Baptists/Mark 1:31

Question
Why does it say that that Jesus did not permit the demons to speak "because they knew who he was"? Thank you.

Answer
Ray, thank you for your question. The verse you are referencing to is not Mark 1:31 but Mark 1:23-26 which states "And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out, Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God. And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him. And when the unclean spirit had torn him, and cried with a loud voice, he came out of him."

Ray, let's break this down. Mark 1:23 states "And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out." Please note just as Jesus lives in us so can evil spirits live in us and influence us. Examples is all the beheadings that you hear about in the news today. Note that the spirit is "unclean spirit." The great preacher Spurgeon comments on this unclean spirit "The ruling spirit in the man was not only a devil, but an unclean devil. Satan sometimes cleans himself up, and comes out quite bright and shining, like an angel of light; but do not mistake him; he is still a devil, for all his pretended purity. There are glittering sins, and respectable sins, and these will ruin souls, but this poor man had a disreputable demon in him, a spirit of the foulest, coarsest, and most abominable order." This is probably a very strong demon possession.  

Verse 24 states "Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God." Ray, notice the man (he, singular) cried out as one who is possessed. He states "Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us?" But the demon possessed man uses the "let us alone", "what have we to do with thee," and "come to destroy us." This tells us the man had more than one evil spirit in him. All these spirits knew who Jesus was as "the Holy One of God." The demon knew who Jesus was but today there are still people who do not know who Jesus is, but the Devil and his demons know.

Verse 25 states "And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him." Jesus shows us that he has the authority of God and he rebukes the demon and tells him "Hold thy peace." Today we would say shut up. Jesus told the demon "to come out of him."

Verse 26 tells us the demons reaction "And when the unclean spirit had torn him, and cried with a loud voice, he came out of him." When Jesus speaks there is always a reaction. The unclean spirit had "torn him." Torn in the Greek means to convulse. The demon possessed man had a seizure, cried one more time with a loud voice, and came out of the man.

Ray, I hope this helps you understand something about people being demon possessed and that all demons know who Jesus is.

Blessings to you today,

Dr Don Howe, RN, PhD, ThD, CARN, FAPA  

Baptists

Dr Don Howe