Baptists/Politics

Question
Why are Baptists involved with Politics and fight in War?

Answer
Charlie, all citizens should be involved with the political process.  We are privileged to have more input than many countries.  Believers had been involved in politics throughout the ages.  Government was ordained by God and some believers have been kings like David and Solomon.  Others like Esther had a different type of influence and hers saved the Jews from genocide and Mordecai held a high office of a pagan kingdom.  Daniel was very involved with state affairs. Paul influenced people in Caesar's house. In more modern times, it was Baptists that were very influential in securing many of the rights we enjoy when the Bill of Rights was authored.  Indeed, most of our foundational laws were taken from the Bible directly or modified a bit. Had atheists been involved with the politics of the time the country would have been a far different.

While I agree, many have gotten out of hand and have sought national salvation through the political process rather than seeking revival or at least not putting enough emphasis on revival still it is our right and duty to be involved in all forms of politics.  If Christians had been more involved from the '50s on we might not be in the condition we are now.

As to war, it is an inevitable thing.  Man has been at war in varying scales since Cain killed Abel.  David said that the Lord taught his hands to war. Indeed, one can see throughout the OT that God has been directly involved with war. Abraham, David and others fought many battles.  John the Baptist only told the soldiers to be content with their wages, not get out of the army.  While we personally turn the other cheek and seek peace in our individual lives there are times when evil men must suppressed and one must stand against that evil. Indeed, if you are a citizen of a great country like ours you need to be a part of keeping the freedom you have experienced for those who come after you.  I served in the military from Viet Nam until Desert Storm I and offered to come out of retirement when we went into Afghanistan. I never had to kill anyone, but if I had I still would have slept well at night for it was my duty to stop the enemy. I would not be guilty of murder because I was in uniform not just shooting someone with whom I had a personal vendetta.

I know my Mennonite and other pacifistic brethren feel differently and I defended their right to believe and practice that though they do not have a biblical exegetical basis for that belief. I did tell one Mennonite friend that someday he may be glad to have a brother like me around to defend him.  

I suspect that you will not agree with me on either issue.  Still, I hope I have given some clarity and maybe food for thought on the topics.  One day the Prince of Peace and King of Kings will come and both issues will be moot.  Peace unto you as you seek Him and His Word.  Shalom!  Maranatha!!!

Baptists

Dr. Ronald E. Shultz