Baptists/Salvation

Question
Can you help me?  I have been cheating on my husband for four years. Am I still saved if I die in an accident?

Shawnasi

Answer
Shawnasi is a beautiful name!  I’m glad you’ve written and are concerned about salvation.  Cheating on your husband for four years could be an indication that you haven’t been saved yet.  You’re right to be concerned about eternity since any of us could face it at any time, so we do need to be ready.
   The salvation from hell that God offers us, is a salvation from sin because there can be no sin in heaven or it would turn into the ruined world like we have in this life.  Matthew 1:21 Jesus “shall save His people from their sins.”
   So when we believe in Jesus enough to “die” to our old self (Galatians 2:20), and be born again (John 3:3) with new, everlasting life, we agree with Jesus that we need saving from our sin—we don’t want to sin, but when we do sin, we want to confess our sins and ask for forgiveness so we can continue fellowship with God. I John 1:9
   Acts 26:18 describes what happens when a person gets saved.  That person’s eyes are opened.  There is a turning “from darkness to light, from the power of Satan unto the God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in Me (Jesus).”  II Corinthians 5:21 Jesus (who knew no sin) became sin for us so we might be made the righteousness of God in Jesus.  Since no sin can enter heaven, none of us can get there except by having God’s righteousness, Jesus in us.  Romans 6:23  “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”  We have to ask ourselves, “Do we want Jesus to be our Lord?  Or would we rather hang on to our sin?”
   It is only when we believe what Jesus feels about our sin that we can surrender our sin and our self to receive the righteousness of God in Jesus.  II John 9 “Whosoever transgresseth and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God.  He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.”  To have God you want to live in the doctrine of Christ—focus on Christ to allow Him to help us overcome temptation and sin.  The one who does not live in the doctrine of Christ focuses on him/herself, so transgression (sin) is inevitable.  
   Whether you were saved in the past or not, what matters is that you “choose this day whom you will serve.”  Joshua 24:15  Surrender the rest of your life to God. “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father.” Matthew 5:16  When we glorify God, we are fulfilling the purpose for which He created us in His image.  When we allow Him to develop all the unique potential with which He created each of us, we reflect His image with a glory like a many faceted (sided) diamond.
   Please take the time to look up the Bible verses I’ve mentioned.  Read them and pray for God’s Spirit to bear witness with your spirit (Romans 8:16), to know you are prepared in case of an accident, ok?
   Love,
   Mrs. Lyons

Baptists

Mrs. Priscilla Lyons