Baptists/The Trinity and it's doctrines

I have been in the Air Force also. Thank you for your service Rev Mile Bateman. I have been looking for God. I started attending a Baptist Church but all they talk about is the trinity and if I don't believe in the trinity I can't be "saved".

After much debate I could not find the trinity in the bible but it's part of the Baptist Doctrine.  I don't feel I should believe in something that is not in the bible for salvation but rather Christ.

Can you clear up any misconception for me brother?

Howdy, Brandon!  Thank you for your service.  I have served in the Air Force, the Navy and retired from the Army. I did not plan it that way, but it makes me a good recruiter.  ;-)

You are correct that you will not find the word trinity in the Bible.  It is a theological term used to describe what is taught in Scripture about the essence of the Godhead.  You may also see it untruncated as the tri-unity of God.  

Deu 6:4  Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

The Jews are considered to be the first monotheistic faith, yet in this passage the word God is plural in the Hebrew and the word for one is a composite word like one cluster of grapes that is made up of many individual grapes.  

Jdg 20:8  And all the people arose as one man, saying, We will not any of us go to his tent, neither will we any of us turn into his house.

It is the same word used here which is an united oneness, not a one and only one.  The question is why use plural names and words that do not mean one and only one in Deut 6:4?

We also see a more than only a one and only concept in

Isa 48:16  Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me.

If you read the entire context you see that the "I" that is speaking is God and yet here He is saying that the Lord God and His Spirit sent Him.  The Lord God is obviously God and the Spirit is not an influence, but a person with a will and authority that can concur with the Lord God to send the God that is speaking in the passage.  

So do we have three Gods? Not really. We have three personalities totally one in essence.  Jesus said that "I and the Father are one."  He did not mean that He was the Father as some modalists teach, but rather they were one in essence or nature.  John says that Isaiah saw Jesus in Isa 6 high and lifted up.  In Zechariah, God says in chapter 12 that one day the Israelites will look upon me whom they have pierced.  How can that happen?  Jesus was pierced on the Cross so in that passage the God speaking is the preincarnate Jesus.  

You see the trinity at Jesus' baptism.  Jesus is in the water, the Holy Spirit appears as a dove and God the Father speaks from Heaven.  In the garden, Jesus speaks to the Father about doing His will and yet Jesus told the Pharisees that before Abraham was, I am and that is what God called Himself so the Jews tried to stone Him because He declared Himself God with that statement.  They are two different personalities, but not two separate beings as we would see a Father and a Son.  We know that the Spirit is far more than an influence or force because He can be blasphemed and only God can be blasphemed so now we have three personalities that are one God.

Don't be thrown because a term is not in the Word. You won't find hyper-static union in there either, but that is what theologians use to try and understand Jesus being both God and man.  You won't see Sunday School, but we have it as a means of fulfilling the Great Commission by teaching the Word and using it as a means of evangelism.  If the truth the term is being used to teach is in the Word then the term is fine. It is only an aid to understanding.  

Here is an article that might help you.  I have only touched on a few points.  Keep studying and may God richly bless you as you seek Him!  Maranatha!  

Dr. Ronald E. Shultz

I am more of a polemicist than an apologist. I especially desire to answer questions concerning discipleship/holiness, "gray areas", etc. If all you wish is an argument then I am not your man. Sincere seekers only need e-mail me.

I have ministered in several states since my conversion in 1975. I participate in many forums and have written two books. I recently changed to Assembly of God, but after 40 years, I can still answer questions about Baptists and doctrinal issues that are common to many sects.

American Association of Christian Counselors since 2009
Texas Navy Association since 2008
Texas Civil Defense since 2008-10
American Legion since 2002
Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels, since 1994
Life Member NCOA, 1973
Dover AFB Honor Guard, 1971-73

Poem, "Cowboy Up" published in an anthology by American Poets Society, 2004
Author, Jail House Religion, Xulon Press, 2004
Author, The Power of Holy Women, Xulon Press, 2003
Messianic Literary Corner published 45 poems, 2003+
Tract “Which Way To God” published on, 1998
Several poems published on various web pages, 1997,1998,1999
Author, Metamorphosis, copyrighted, partially published collection of poetry, 1968-94
Article, “Why I Prefer Expository Preaching”, published in Canyonview Bible Seminary's Expositor, 1988

Doctor of Theology, Slidell Baptist Seminary, Slidell, LA, 2001, Summa Cum Laude
Master of Theology, Christian Bible College, Rocky Mount, NC, 2000, Summa Cum Laude
Bachelor of Religious Education , Administration minor, Piedmont Baptist College, Winston-Salem, NC, 1982, Cum Laude
Evangelical Teacher Training Association, Teachers Diploma, Winston-Salem, NC, 1982
Other study: Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, AL - 1975-78
Upper Iowa University, Fayette, IA - 1976-77
Interim Ministry For Today's Churches - 2000

Heritage Registry of Who's Who, 2006-2007
Editor's Choice Award, International Library of Poetry, 2003
America's Registry of Outstanding Professionals 2001-2002
Stratmore Who's Who, 2001-2002
Guest Class Speaker Texas A&M, Commerce, 1999
Gubernatorial Commendation by Texas Veterans Commission, 1999
Dallas VA Certificate of Pride in Public Service, 1999
Guest on the Kevin Bullard radio program KPBC AM 770,1997
Who's Who in the South and Southwest, 1996
Editor's Choice Award, National Library of Poetry, 1995
Who's Who in Poetry, 1992
United States Army Achievement Medal, 1990
Personal testimony dramatized for international radio program Unshackled, 1986
Outstanding Young Men of the South, 1981
United States Air Force Commendation Medal, 1978
Two USAF suggestion awards, 1976
NCO of the Quarter, 1975
Freedom Foundation Award, 1975