Baptists/inquiry / salvation

Question
Dear maam Priscilla,

Good day! I have a question, I hope you will be kind enough to answer it. Here's the question:

can a person lose his/her salvation after being saved? If your answer is no, then kindly explain the meaning of these confusing bible verses. A short explanation for each verse is enough.If you cannot explain all, just answer what you know.Thank you.

Matthew 6:15
Matthew 19:21-35
Matthew 10:22-32
Luke 12:41-46
1 Corinthians 1:22-23
Hebrews 3:6 and 14
Revelation 2:10, 25-36, 3:1-5
2 Peter 2:20-22

I would appreciate it very much if you can help in explaining the meaning of the said bible verses given.

Respectfully Yours,
Ram
( from Philippines )

Answer
Thanks for writing, Ram.  Let me come to your subject from a little different angle.  I think the Bible’s emphasis on behavior (the verses you mention) is to remind us that we can’t behave well enough to get saved or stay saved.  It’s our schoolmaster (Gal 3:24) to remind us that we NEED Christ so much that we entrust our self to Him.  We die (surrender completely) to our self (Romans 6 baptism picture), so we can be born again (John 3) of the will of God (not the will of man-John 1:13).  If we seek Him, choose Him, want Him, and surrender to death of our old self, then God gives us His everlasting, perfect life.  We glorify Him by allowing God’s life and light which He gives us, to shine before others (Matt 5:16).

Self-professed “Christians” can have wonderful behavior (Matt 7:22) but not be born again because Jesus never KNEW them.  Matt 1:25 Joseph “knew her (Mary) not till she had brought forth her firstborn Son.”  Jesus never produced a new life in the self-professed “Christians” –no intimate relationship that produces a born again experience of true Christians.

Our human default mode is to rely on our improved behavior to “endure to the end.”  I think God’s emphasis on our behavior is to show us that we can’t endure to the end—we can’t be perfect (I John 3), so we have to rely on Him and give Him all the credit.  We need to ask Him to switch off our default mode so we can glorify Him and fulfill all the potential with which He created us.

Can we walk away?  Can we give back God’s eternal life?  Will He pull the plug on the eternal life He gave us if we later decide we’d rather sin than have Him in our life?  If we’re really saved, we belong to God, not ourselves (I Cor 6:19-20) so we can’t claim back what isn’t ours anymore.

It’s all about God and not about us, so, since I can’t really tell whether a person is really born again, I just encourage everyone to entrust themselves to God as the only way to live forever.  If they are not sure they DO belong to God, surrender right now.  What we have to stress is that they are choosing a lifelong relationship with God, not a one time experience to give them confidence to live as they want and still go to heaven.  “Use it or lose it”  Matt 25:28  God gives everyone a choice to risk dying to himself to gain eternal life.  Avoiding that risk, not using that choice (talent) for the wonderful gain God offers, in order to keep his life for himself, counts that person out of eternal life, even if that person claims to believe in Jesus to avoid hell.  Wanting to avoid hell may get a person’s attention, but if that’s all the interest there is in God, then God won’t force Himself on a person now, nor at the end of that person’s life.

This may not answer your question, but I hope it will encourage you to shine for the Lord and show others the Way.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Lyons

Baptists

Mrs. Priscilla Lyons