Baptists/salvation / question

Question
Dear sir,

Good day! I have a question, I hope you will be kind enough to answer it. Here's the question:

can a person lose his/her salvation after being saved? If your answer is no, then kindly explain the meaning of these confusing bible verses. A short explanation for each verse is enough.If you cannot explain all, just answer what you know.Thank you.

Matthew 6:15
Matthew 19:21-35
Matthew 10:22-32
Luke 12:41-46
1 Corinthians 1:22-23
Hebrews 3:6 and 14
Revelation 2:10, 25-36, 3:1-5
2 Peter 2:20-22

I would appreciate it very much if you can help in explaining the meaning of the said bible verses given.

Respectfully Yours,
Ram
( from Philippines )

Answer
The passages in the Gospels have to be taken in context that until Christ was resurrected everything was geared to the Jews and the Kingdom. The Law was not yet fulfilled. Christ fulfilled the Law and on the day of Pentecost we officially entered the Church Age. While some say the church was started in the Gospels it is better to say it was conceived in them and on Pentecost was birthday. The day we leave the womb is when we start counting age.

The Church does not replace the Jews. They will one day be the head of all nations in the Millennium. The Church is a period of time in parentheses between the 69th and 70th week of Daniel.

Matthew 6:15
We know that when we do not forgive it affects us spiritually and often physically so we need to forgive.  When a person is saved all sins past, present and future are forgiven,  Yet, God chastens us for those sins because while we are judicially forgiven once and for all there is a need to be forgiven for fellowship. 1 John 1:9

Again, Jesus was speaking to a Jewish audience and in the sense of Matt 18:34,35 God may not allow us into fellowship with Him if we do not forgive so that while you are saved and forgiven judicially you are given over to the tormentors/demons to where you have the guilt for your sins being accentuated by the demons.  This could be one of the reasons so many Christians lack joy and victory in their lives because they do not forgive and release those who wrong them them from guilt thus not receiving freedom from guilt for their own sins.  When we release others then we are also released from the tormentors.  If we go to our grave not forgiving them we not only lose blessings and joy here we also lose rewards there.  1 Cor 3:15

Matthew 19:21-35
This was told to the rich young ruler to show that he was not as righteous as he thought because he claimed to have kept all the commandments since his youth.  He did not love his neighbor because he could not part with his wealth because he coveted what that wealth could bring him.  Hence in vs 22 he walks away showing he did not love God with all his heart, etc because he would not give up the wealth to follow Christ, the Son of God.

Matthew 10:22-32
This is speaking of the Tribulation and the Church will not be here then so it is not written for us.  Enduring until Christ returns will result in the deliverance or salvation from the horrors of the Tribulation for people who do not have faith.  Those who refused the mark will also be saved both physically and spiritually.  Some may start out resisting the mark but may not have saving faith so at some point they may have caved in and received it later.  I believe it is primarily a promise to those suffering that an end is coming and the righteous shall be delivered/saved.

Luke 12:41-46
Again, I believe this is in a Jewish context and spoken predominantly to the Religious leaders of the time who were not true believers though they professed to be righteous according to the Law.  Many people also profess to be Christians, but are not like the people in Matt 7:21-25.  Both they and the leaders in Jesus' day will receive their portion with the unbelievers.  They had every opportunity to have real faith, but like the people who fell in the Wilderness never really believed even after they saw God's miracles.

1 Corinthians 1:22-23
In the wisdom of men preaching is foolishness for if God exists why doesn't He just roll back the curtains of Heaven and show Himself.  He does that in Revelation, but people still do not repent so that would not accomplish what mean think.  He wanted Adam and Eve's faith in the garden and they saw Him every day and still did not have complete faith in Him.  So those that have not seen, but have faith in Him are saved.  Jews want signs and Gentiles want wisdom and instead God chooses to send men to preach faith.  

Hebrews 3:6 and 14
As I said in the Matt 10 passage some will make a profession of faith, but may not possess real faith.  Many people are in church because it is a family or cultural thing.  Some are there to network their business or for other reasons than being true worshipers or believers.  Those who have real faith will maintain their confidence until the end though it may ebb and flow through various trials.  Jesus prayed that Peter's faith would fail not.  He was not as concerned about Peter's actions or works because He knew Peter works would fail.

Revelation 2:10, 25-36, 3:1-5
There are different rewards for service and even martyrdom.  Soul winners will shine like stars.   In the Millennium saints will have different responsibilities in the kingdom based on their faithfulness in life.  Sardis had many hypocrites and apostates with a few true saints.  Many denominations were once a vibrant part of the Body, but have now apostatized yet many would look at their name or past reputation and and think they are still alive, but Jesus sees that they are dead.  Some saints still exist in them, but they are in the minority.

2 Peter 2:20-22
It is difficult to identify these people because it appears that they were saved and yet so many Scriptures show that once a person is born again he cannot be lost.  These may be people who came and cleaned up their act for awhile and knew intellectually the way, but like those in the Wilderness who saw the miracles and yet did not have true faith.  Some become the false prophets that rise up from among us as Peter prophesied.  2 Pete 2:1

Heb 4:2  For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

The religious leaders of Israel had every opportunity to believe and yet while they taught the Law and claimed to be sons of Abraham they just had ritual and not reality.  That is perhaps the type of people described in this passage in Peter.

I hope this has been of some help to you.  Continue to study the Word.  It is good to have men teach you, but the best of men err.  Seek the Holy Spirit's discernment.  He never fails as He was used in making the Bible and it is His job to lead us into all truth.   

Blessings to you!  Shalom!  Maranatha!

Baptists

Dr. Ronald E. Shultz