Baptists/How does this work?

Question
QUESTION: Hello Mr. Holland,

I am puzzled as to why an expert who wants to share his knowledge about a particular faith would deem a question unworthy of an answer and reject it as 'spam'.

If an expert lacks the knowledge to answer a question, then why not give a more knowledgeable expert an opportunity to answer it by sending it to the Question Pool?  Otherwise, the question goes unanswered.

I know you cannot answer for someone else, so for future reference, please tell me the definition of 'spam' so I don't get that response again.

Since you answered a previous question of mine from the Question Pool, I'm going to forward my 'spammed' question to you.

Thank you.

Lou

ANSWER: Hello Lou, and thank you for writing me.  First off, I want to say that you are my very first outside questioner in this category, as I only joined here last week.  I have been an expert in the Jehovah's Witness category for just over 14 years, but only came here to the Baptist forum recently.

I cannot answer as to why an expert would reject a legitimate question as "Spam".  I looked up the definition of "Spam", and it said this...

"irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients"

And in addition to the above definition, a "Spam" message is generally sent out to many recipients, by means of an electronic messaging system.  If you are not an electronic messaging system, and your question was not sent out in mass quantities to many recipients, then I do not think it would qualify as "Spam".

Furthermore, "Spam" messages are generally unsolicited.  If a person signs up here and says they are willing to answer questions, then any legitimate question they receive, can hardly be considered "unsolicited", and they should honor their word and answer them.  Unless of course, the question was harassing or argumentative in nature.  I am not saying that yours was, but I'm just giving a possible reason an expert may have for refusing a particular question.

Now please understand that I have not seen your question that was rejected as "Spam", and cannot comment on what this other person's reasoning was for rejecting it.  I would have to see the question for myself, so yes, please send it to me.

I will say this, however....The question from you that I pulled out of the Pool, was a VERY good set of questions, that I do not understand why they would have been sent to the Pool.  There was nothing that I saw in the questions, that should have been objectionable, and they were questions that so many people today wonder about. They deserved an answer.  I took a chance on answering them, because I know you sent them to another "expert", but since that person sent them to the Pool, it seemed obvious to me that they had decided not to address them, for some reason.  I thought the questions were good, and deserved the dignity of a response.

Might I also ask you which expert rejected your question in this manner?  If you had rather not disclose that, its fine.  I was just wondering if it happened to be the same one who sent your other very good set of questions, to the Pool.  That's my reason for asking that.  Like me, this "expert" is also on the Jehovah's Witness category under another name, and there has been a trend to reject questions over there, as well.  I certainly hope you are not going to have the same trouble here, as many have had over there.

But yes, please send your question to me, and I'll do my best to help.  Thank you again for writing, and have a great day.

Derrick

QUESTION: Thank you for the info & the offer.  Perhaps this expert just doesn't know the proper protocol yet,  so I will give him the benefit of the doubt and ask him again before forwarding the question on to someone else.

Answer
That is fine. Please let me know if I can be of assistance to you, or if you keep having these issues.  Your questions deserve an answer, from someone who signed up here to answer questions. Hopefully asking them again, will show them that you really want to know the answer to what you are asking. As I said, let me know if I can be of assistance.  I am sorry that you had difficulty before, and I hope that you don't again.

IfI don't know the answer to your question, I will certainly try to find out.

Have a great day.

Derrick

Baptists

Derrick Holland