Baptists/Women Pastors

Question
I ran across your writings on Woman Pastors on Sermon Central where you strongly indicated your belief that women should not be pastors. In that study you indicated that you were an Assembly of God minister. I know that your stand in not in agreement with the Assembly of God organization. When I tried to research this a little farther I found other writings that indicated that you are a Baptist minister. I am confused. Do you follow the AG doctrines or the Baptist. I know that these two organization believe many of the same things, but this question of woman pastors in an area where they do not agree. Please help me with my confusion.

Answer
Well, Gene, as with Baptists, not all AOG pastors agree on all doctrines.  Some are OSAS and others are not.  I was a Baptist minister for 40 years and recently changed to AOG for various reasons.  As I held some beliefs that not all Baptists held I was sometimes known as a Bapticostal.  Maybe now, I would be called a PentaBaptist.  ;-)  No matter what group of Christians you fellowship with or work with you must always be true to what the Word teaches.  Good men have disagreed with many things over the centuries.

Yes, I do not believe women should be pastors.  As I continue to learn about the AOG, I am sure I will be in discussion with someone about this topic and get their perspective.  No organization is right about everything nor will they be until Christ returns.  If we separate over every doctrine we would mostly just stay at home because we will never find a group where we are 100% in agreement.  I doubt we will ever be in agreement on this issue.  I believe I have done an pretty exhaustive research on the issue and believe that I am correct.  I do know some of the arguments from the other side and I do not believe that they have properly exegeted those verses that seem to prove their position.  They believe they have and thus we have a stalemate.  So, should we not work together to save souls and build up the Body?  That is one of the reasons I left the Baptists and why the Church is not making an impact in the world because we spend more time fighting each other and expecting sinners to act like saints when the saints do not always act like saints.

Doctrine is very important and while there are undeniable, unchangeable fundamental doctrines like Christology, the Trinity and such there are others we will need to continue to research and debate until the end.  I do not like the phrase, "in essentials unity and in nonessentials charity" because I am afraid that over the years we have used that to get lax in our studies and often too tolerant in our associations.  Also, if God wrote about it, I don't know that we can declare them nonessential.  That said, believing in women pastors will send no one to Hell and neither will not believing in them.  I would never ordain a woman if I were pastor nor would I ever sit on an ordination council for one.  

I don't believe a Christian should celebrate Halloween, Christmas or Easter because they are all pagan Catholic holidays, but no one will go to Hell if they do and they are such sacred cows that they will never be abandoned.  Thus I tolerate two of them though I believe that even though we were never told to remember His birth, if we are going to it then it should be on a date we could come close to using Scripture and make it all about Him instead of us and let the materialism behind.  Also, the Word calls Him the Passover Lamb so why did we create a separate holiday and throw all the junk in it? I believe it was a form of Antisemitism created by the Catholic church or at least adopted by it.  If we are people of the Word we should not reject His Jewish identity and change the Scriptures to a Gentile interpretation. We are not under Law, but history is history and we should not revise it.

All that being said I do not go out and smash jack o'lanterns on Christian door steps nor tear down their trees. Not too long ago, God asked me if I would let Him be God and I said yes, which is another reason I left the Baptists because many of them are not good at letting God be God.  I came to the AOG because I always considered them the sanest of the Pentecostals and I called them Baptists Plus. Also, I live across the street from the pastor of the church and came to know him as an awesome man of God.  

Coming over was a large step for me, but interestingly, I always got higher praise from Pentecostals for my sermons than I did from Baptists.  I did a search and found one of my sermons some time back on the site of the Indian Pentecostal Times.  So, I am not way off of AOG teachings in many issues.  Will we ever be in 100% agreement?  Probably not.  Yet, it was prophesied when I was a hard core Baptist that I would pastor a Baptist church and then one day a Pentecostal one.  At 63, that does not seem likely, but then again being in one was unlikely a few years ago.  It has also been prophesied that one day I will speak with the tongues of men and angels. Has not happened yet, but up until a few years ago, I had a sermon online totally denying tongues for today. So, who knows? Thus if you read my sermons or answers here, much will have the term Baptist in them and I still know a great deal about Baptists so I can answer those questions.  It would take a long time to edit everything for my change over and as much as I have posted over the years the task may be impossible.

Sorry for your confusion.  May God grant you great wisdom and discernment as you seek Him in His Word!

Baptists

Dr. Ronald E. Shultz