Barbecue/Lettuce and Tomatoes for 450 Burgers

How many heads of lettuce and tomatoes (which we'll slice) should we count on for 450 burgers?  Thanks!

Hello Courtney, and thank you for your question.  Wow, that's some party you've got planned! Sounds like a lot of fun!
    Some things that came to mind when I saw your question; Are you dressing the burgers or will you have a spread where people can pick and choose their own toppings? How many(if any) children will be enjoying burgers? The reason I think of these is because if you (and your crew) are topping all the burgers, it's imperative to have enough goods for all 450. If purchasing the average sized tomato, you should be able to get 7 to 8 slices per tomato. You would need about 60 to ensure you have enough. Lettuce is subjective to how much you want to put on each burger. Core the head and then quarter it, and you should be able to dress 30 to 40 burgers per head. This will require a dozen heads of lettuce.
    If people are dressing their own burger, you can almost always get away with less product than I previously mentioned. Some folks don't like tomatoes, some folks don't like lettuce. Kids can be the most fickle, and not like either! What we would do at the catering facility was follow a 60/40 rule. This basically means that we would plan on 60 percent of our guest actually using both items, and prep accordingly.
   I hope this was helpful. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Have a super summer!

Kris Yager

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about barbecue! I have had the pleasure of working for a Zagat rated barbecue restaurant for many years, and I have also participated in several barbecue competitions including the American Royal and Memphis in May. I am familiar with cooking beef, pork, any poultry, lamb, seafood, game meats, bison, cheeses, fruits, and vegetables. I am fearless when I'm near the fire and I'll try to barbecue anything! I am very familiar with cold smoking, hot smoking, and smoke roasting. I have experience cooking on commercial barbecue pits, offset or barrel smokers, upright drum smokers, vertical or bullet smokers, propane smokers, and rotisseries. I am also well-versed in catering. I have cooked for parties large and small, ranging from 8 to 10,000+ people. I enjoy menu planning and product sourcing for any size party.

Cook, Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue of Kansas City, September 1998 to May 2011

Microsoft A+ Certification, Johnson County Community College 2009