Barbecue/BBQ no smoke

Question
I just bought a Weber 18" BBQ and I've done two cookings with it. In both cases there was very little heat and virtually no smoke. I don't know what I've done wrong - I feel like a complete moron. I used a pile of briquets - about 30-40 of them. After they turned ashen I spread them out on the bottom grill, and I could feel there was lots of heat. I put four ears of corn on the top grill and put the cover on. No smoke. Almost no grilling happening. I tried it with bottom vents open and then partially open on the bottom. I tried with cover on, cover off. After about an hour, the corn was barely cooked. Today I tried again with veggies on wooden skewers. Same result, hardly cooked after 45 minutes. I was expecting to see smoking and visual evidence that real BBQ cooking was happening, but no dice. Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong?  Thanks.

Answer
I am assuming that you're using a Weber Kettle grille. I have used one for decades, so I have a good sense of what works best with the things.

What you are describing is extremely odd, and not something that I have ever observed. Some questions:

1. What brand of briquettes?
2. How are you lighting them?
3. When you spread them out, how thick is the layer of coals? I generally recommend 1 1/2 - 2 briquettes deep.
4. How far is the grille from the coals?
5. What is the outdoor temperature?

A suggestion -- try using natural lump charcoal rather than briquettes -- it burns much hotter and without all the additives and fillers typically in briquettes.

Barbecue

Whitestag