Barbecue/BBQ

Question
QUESTION: Lately I've been trying with not much success BBQing chicken legs. (Rubbing with oil, salt & pepper, indirect heat 20 minutes, then I start adding sauce/glaze and continue for total of one hour, indirect heat) Most of what I have been learning is that 170F is the ideal temperature, but this requires extensive cooking time. With less cooking time the temperature should be higher but then there is the danger of the meat being too tough. I tried cooking at a low temperature yesterday but after 1 1/2 hours it was not 100% cooked. How do you BBQ chicken legs, glazing them at the end, so that they are done in 45 minutes? Also, do you marinade them overnight? Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi David,
I think the best cooking temperature is medium high heat which make the grill grates around 450 degrees. This is the surface temperature of the grates. I do not marinade my chicken legs over night. I like to pat them dry and use dry seasonings. I put them on the grill and turn them every 5 minutes until they reach an internal temperature of 185 to 190 degrees. Use a meat thermometer to ensure they are done. Chicken legs tend to take 30 to 35 minutes to cook when using the hot surface method of cooking. I sometimes will glaze them with a sauce 5 minutes before removing them from the grill. Let the legs rest for 10 minutes before serving. They will be tender and delicious. I hope this helps you. Feel free to ask me a follow up question if you need more information.
Happy Grilling!
Misty

QUESTION: Thanks. Do you cook them on indirect heat for most of the time? Then when you glaze them, is it on direct or indirect heat?

Answer
Hi David,
I usually do direct heat for most of the cooking and if they look like they are getting too done move them to the parts of the grill that are not so hot. I usually put the glaze on about 10 minutes before removing because glaze has sugar and it can burn. Direct heat is ok for the glaze too just keep an eye on it. Chicken legs are fun because you get to keep moving them around and turning them so it keeps you busy. I would love to hear what glaze you decide to use. WIshing you much success with your party.
Misty
PS Feel free to ask more questions any time.  

Barbecue

BBQ Woman