Barbecue/Heat shield question

Mr. Langenfelder,
I have a "Great Outdoors" DG450 grill.  I bought it a few years ago at a yard sale, and I didn't think I was going to like it.  (It's the first grill I've had the uses a heat shield instead of the lava rocks or ceramic pyramids.)  But I've gotten kind of used to it.
One problem:  It has one large steel "heat shield" that covers over all three of the burners.  And the heat shield has just basically crumbled away...I don't know if it's rust, or if it's a combination of direct flame under the bottom and lots of juice dripping down on the top.  But it's pretty much eaten away, and the small flame "slits" are now big holes.
I just got a new heat shield, and I'd like to make this one last as long as I can.  Is there anything I can do to help it last?  I don't guess painting it with high temperature paint would do any good, and might even be dangerous if the juice drips down and sizzles back up over the meat.  I know that there are high temperature ceramic-type coatings you can buy at auto parts stores, and I wondered if maybe spraying one of those on the bottom might work?
Any advice...suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Warm regards,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.  DO NOT paint it.  You will get paint fumes in your cooking.  There is not much that you can do to prevent rusting. Eventually they all rust. Cleaning them after use and then spraying cooking oil on them after cooking but they last several years.  In my Weber they have lasted up to 6 years before I replaced them.  My suggestion is just leave them alone.  When they collect the grease from cooking and you continue to use them they just add flavor.  Weber calls them "flavoring plates"

John Langenfelder

I can generally answer most questions relating to BBQ, smoked meats, choosing meats, grilled meats, spices, rubs, sauces, grills, cookers, smokers, wood, charcoal and food preparation.

I have been cooking and smoking meats for over 40 years (yep, even as a child). I am a BBQ competitor and certified judge.

Bachelor of Barbeques Science B.S. from the Greasehouse University by the facilities of the Pitmasters College by the K.C. Baron of Barbeque
Check out my website at