Bariatric Surgery/3 years after gastric bypass surgery

Judy LaNore wrote at 2009-03-09 14:28:38
i just wanted Cathy to know how much her answer to the question helped me in just one weekend.  it's the things i forgot. . . not eating and drinking, and the grazing.  it's so easy to slip back, and this weekend, i just kept telling myself i wasn't hungry when i felt the urge to go to the kitchen.  i kept your answer with me all weekend, and kept referring to it.  

thank you for all you do

Beeny wrote at 2012-06-16 22:10:52
I concur with the coach; exercise is key! In addiion to hydration! I do my best to only drink water 30-45 minutes AFTER a meal, but IF I DON'T GET THE HYDRATION MY BODY NEEDS during the day, I see myself eating more and I feel hungrier.  For me, the protein shakes are a must, preferrably in the morning. Protein is the key to avoid overeating carbs during the day. Like you, I'm 3 yrs post sergery, and I'm 6-7 lbs heavier then last yr, and I'm fighting those 7 lbs as it is super easy to put on the weight if One is not careful.  

Vitamins are essentail for our health with this sergery. I was found to be clinicly anemic, about 7 months ago, it scared me so now I take my vitamins religiously.   Key elements for me are: drinking my protein shakes, vitamins, working out at least 3x per week; and good hydration, and sure veggies and such.

In addition, my plan is if I see myself gaining a few more lbs as time progresses, I will go back to the original post op diet plan given to me and then slowly incorporating other foods as recommended by the sergean.  

Before sergery, I was informed that about 2-3 yrs post op small weight increases would most likely happen (our little pouches do grow specially if forced to grow by overeating) but awareness and being honest about the weight gain can initiate a plan of action sooner.  I know about 7 people who've undergone this sergery, and at their 4 year mark, they're almost 50 lbs heavier and most of them do not exercise regularly.  

Thank you for your feedback and I pray the Lord gives us the right attitude every step of our way!

Susane51 wrote at 2013-01-31 16:04:39
Good comment!   I lost total "150". Gained back 26.    This had to stop... for 2 days I changed from solid food to liquid.   Protein shakes water etc ( stage 2).  Then I went on Stage 4 mostly.   Occasionaly I will have a starch carb with meal but rare.   Started this Dec 31.  one month later almost 10 lb wt loss.   oh yes increased water intake and I try to walk 3-6 miles daily.   My pouch is my friend and with all friends you treat them well.

mesusam wrote at 2013-02-05 11:10:41
I feel for writer.   I'm 3 years out and gained back 27 lbs.  She could be telling my story except I became stionary after a hernia surgery.   I'm on the right track now.   I got my book out anf for 2 days started on liquid diet.  Protien shakes, broth, etc.   2 days is not bad.   Then I stared on Stage. 4.   I walk,  drink water, and journal.   I use lose-it app on phone to make sure I get 60-80 g protein.   I plan healthy snacks and eat regulary.. (important).   I have lost 9 lbs in January.  I feel good and only have 18 lbs to go.  I occasionaly eat one healthy bread/starch a day.   Follow rules... no carbonated drinks, waiting to drink water.... and one ptotiein shake for last meal of day.

mesusam wrote at 2013-02-05 11:10:41

Bariatric Surgery

Cathy Wilson, ACC-ICF, CLC