Bariatric Surgery/post op problem with duodenal switch

Edmund129 wrote at 2013-02-04 16:35:12
I've been having serious burning in my Anus as well, My colon Rectal doctor found a fiscer and attempted to treat it with Nitro Bid and Lanocaid, it helped but the burning persisted so he scheduled me for a Sphenterotomy to surgical repair the fischer, however about 2 days before the surgery I developed Kidney stones (another know side effect of DS) which produced a thick amount of blood in my urine, so my family doctor prescribed an anti-biotic so as to prevent infection, which also immediatly made my rectal pain go away.  When I went into surgery the Colon Rectal Doctor couldn't find the fischer any more.  But a couple of days after the anti-biotic ran out, the burning pain came back again.  So I asked my family doctor to prescribe another round of anti-biotics and the pain went a way again.  But when when that ran out, the pain returned yet again and left my colon rectal doctor confused and clueless as to what was going on.

So I went to see another colon rectal doctor that more closely works with DS patience and says the DS can sometimes be made to bypass the Bile duct return back to the liver and cause most of the bile to exit the bowl instead of getting recycled back to the liver, thus burning my anus and large intestine.  The bile is supposed to be recycled by the illunalinum, but in a DS most of the illunalinum is bypassed and has very little chance of recycling the bile.  But he didn't have any good explination as to why the anti-biotic was fixing the Fiscer.  He seemed to think the anti-biotic was softening the stool.

I suspect the anti-biotic is fending off the Flora and equali bacteria that normally live in the bowl and intestines and permitting the fiscer to heal, but fiscers happen every day, and if the bacteria is attacking it, it seems that would impead the bodys ability to repair the damage; and the anti-biotic is permoting healing by fighting off infecting bacteria. And sense in a DS the food is 95% malabsorbed it would seem that the flora would become healthier and more agressive at feasting off the malabsorbed food.

Which theory do you think makes the most sense?

Bariatric Surgery

Karla K.

I'm very familiar with the four main types of bariatric surgery: Lap-Band/Adjustable Gastric Band, Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, Roux-en-Y, and Duodenal Switch. I'm familiar with the Mini-Gastric Bypass and Revisions as well. I'm also beginning my seventh year post-op as a successful bariatric patient--so I can answer questions regarding pre-op, post-op honeymoon, and maintenance phases. I'm less familiar with the nuances of plastic surgery following bariatric surgery--but I do know a bit.

Have been an avid researcher of the science of obesity and bariatric surgery for over ten years now. My professional career used to involve medical device research.

Master's in Business Administration.