Bariatric Surgery/Bariatric Surgery with Crohn's Disease

I am 19 years of age and I have Crohn's. I have been living with this disease since I was 16. I have been over weight all my life and as of right now I weigh 345. I want to have the gastric sleeve done and I want to know if I will be able to have it done considering I have Crohn's. I take Pentasa and have been taking it since I was diagnosed with Crohn's. I have never been hospitalized, I don't have any flair-ups, pain, or anything. I have not had any surgery because of my Crohn's, I am actually pretty healthy considering my weight. So I want to know can I have it done and if so if I meet with a surgeon what should I expect him/her to say when I tell them I have Crohn's. Please help. Thanks.

As I am not a sufferer of Crohn's Disease, I cannot speak to the impact or effect of the disease on gastric bypass alternatives. Also, I did not have a gastric sleeve installed; my choice was to have the more permanent method of gastric bypass surgery. I am sorry that I cannot help more with your questions. I encourage you to present your concerns and questions to a doctor with experienced in gastric diseases first and wish you good luck in finding a way to reduce your weight.

Steven West

Bariatric Surgery

Steven West

I can answer any and all questions from the perspective of a weight loss surgery patient. I have had Gastric Bypass Surgery - Roux-en-Y - and can answer questions from the perspective of one who has experienced the pain and suffering of murderous obesity. I have mustered the courage to open myself to the opportunity to live life again! Let me help you get there, too! Weight loss surgery isn't for everyone, but for those who fit some specific criteria, it is a viable option. With the rise in obesity in America, there are suddenly weight loss surgery centers springing up on every street corner, it seems. Choosing to have weight loss surgery is a major decision in your life, and choosing the right center can mean the difference between weight loss success and failure. There are three main types of weight loss surgery being performed today at most all surgical weight loss clinics: the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass, which creates a small stomach pouch and bypasses part of the small intestine; the Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass, which is similar to the first surgery, but is done laparoscopically, so it reduces the size of the incision, and reduces the pain and recovery time of the surgery, and the LAP-BAND surgery, which is a band fastened around the stomach to create a small pouch. Weight Loss surgery is not for everyone who is obese. In most cases, candidates must be at least 100 pounds overweight. Surgery should be the last resort, rather than a quick-fix. Surgery is a long-term answer to managing your weight, and you need to be aware it will change your life.

I am a post operative patient of Weight Loss Surgery (Gastric Bypass, RNY). I am interested in providing coaching for pre-operative and post-operative patients.

Member of

Profiled in Obesity Help Magazine.

Bachelors Degree in Computer Science. I am an engineer working for Computer Sciences Corporation in the Washington, D.C. area.

I am a retired veteran with over twenty years of U.S. Naval Service.