Bariatric Surgery/Seizures

lindaarlenecruz wrote at 2013-06-28 04:45:53
I also have had seizures after my gastric bypass Roux en Y in 2006.

First one was 1 yr after. Busted my 2 front teeth, broke my left pinky finger, split my lip requiring stitches and woke up in the E.R as well. I was going through a horrible divorce so wonder if PTSD could have triggered it instead of the Rouz en Y.

2nd one was at a home I was working in. Passed out cold. That was about 1-2 yrs later.

3rd one was outside of my apartment while walking my dogs. I scared the heck out of my neighbors.

I have insulin resistance, reactive hypoglycemia, had an anaphylactic attack almost a year ago to my favorite food (shrimp)and had to go to the E.R to deal with the facial swelling and redness.

It's been a weird ride. My sugars each time were in the 80's so they ruled out hypoglycemia. Although, sugars have been in the 20's and I didn't seize. Each time I had a seizure I had a warning.

I currently take Lyrica and Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia but they increased it after the seizures.  I am switching to Lamictal this week slowly just to see how it works for me. I really wanted to get off Lyrica because it really isn't helping the Fibro pain anymore so why not try something different.

EEG showed changes in THETA waves but I don't know what that means.

I still drive but hate that I have this history and have no idea why this is happening.

It's good to know other people are revealing this problem. My surgeon decided to retire after so I never had proper after care.

Bariatric Surgery

John Pilcher, MD

I can answer medically oriented questions about bariatric surgery including: patient selection, preparation for surgery, differences between types of bariatric surgery, aftercare following bariatric surgery. I can answer detailed questions about gastric bypass, Lap-Band, gastric sleeve, and revision bariatric surgery. I am only somewhat familiar with Biliopancreatic diversion. I am not prepared to answer insurance or other financial questions related to bariatric surgery.

I have been a practicing bariatric surgeon since 1995. About 85% of my current practice consists of bariatric surgery, including all of the above procedures except biliopancreatic diversion. I am the senior surgeon of a 5-surgeon group. I am recognized among surgeons and other medical professionals as the most experienced bariatric surgeon in my region.

Fellow of American College of Surgeons Member, American Society for Bariatric Surgery

BA in Biochemistry - University of Virginia Medical Degree - University of Virginia Surgical Residency - University of Virginia

Alpha Omega Alpha