Bariatric Surgery/Excessive belching

I had RNY in 2002 and have been doing fine until the last several months.  Many times, not always, after eating, I have excessive belching, which is embarrassing.  Sometimes I have nausea with it and spit up some.  The belching typically last a couple of hours.  I have logged my eating habits, etc., and cannot determine when I might belch.  Is it the food?  Or, is there something going wrong after all this time?

Hi Glenda:

I'd be surprised if it was the food if your eating habits have not changed considerably.  It could have something to do with your surgery--even if its been 10+ years.  The fact that your having nausea and a bit of reflex makes me think it could be related to your surgery.  Since you have such a great log, why not shoot your surgeon an email and get his/her opinion?  My guess is they might want you to do a barium swallow or something similar to see what's going on.  S/he also might suggest that you try something like Prilosec or Nexium for a month or so to see if that resolves the issue before ordering a diagnostic test.  

Sorry I can't be of more help.  Hope you figure this out soon. :)

Bariatric Surgery

Karla K.

I'm very familiar with the four main types of bariatric surgery: Lap-Band/Adjustable Gastric Band, Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, Roux-en-Y, and Duodenal Switch. I'm familiar with the Mini-Gastric Bypass and Revisions as well. I'm also beginning my seventh year post-op as a successful bariatric patient--so I can answer questions regarding pre-op, post-op honeymoon, and maintenance phases. I'm less familiar with the nuances of plastic surgery following bariatric surgery--but I do know a bit.

Have been an avid researcher of the science of obesity and bariatric surgery for over ten years now. My professional career used to involve medical device research.

Master's in Business Administration.