Bariatric Surgery/High blood sugar after surgoery

Question
I am 2 weeks post surgoery and wonder why my blood sugar is higher than what it was before surgoery and on medicine?

Answer
Susan,
It is uncommon to see blood sugar rise during the two weeks after bariatric surgery (sometimes there is an increase during the first 48 hours due to a natural stress response).

Your question did not include information about what type of surgery you had done, but as a general rule patients should avoid consuming sugar in their fluids and in food.  One tricky thing is that some liquid protein supplements have a very high sugar content so it is necessary to carefully to choose one with more protein than carbs.  

To really address your specific circumstances I have to recommend that you consult with your surgical team, probably starting with the surgeon or the dietician.

Best of luck!
Dr JP

Bariatric Surgery

John Pilcher, MD