Bariatric Surgery/Bariatric Surgery after full colectomy

Question
I had a full proctocolectomy with anastomosis in 2010 after having colorectal cancer. Is it possible for me to still have bariatric surgery and which type would you recommend? I am 5ft2in and 265lbs.

Answer
Janelle,
Your history of extensive surgery would make additional surgery (bariatric surgery) a bit more difficult but usually not unreasonable.  Your bariatric surgeon will want to know from you existing docs that you are clear of colorectal cancer as far as they know.  The widespread scar left behind after a total proctocolectomy would make a gastric bypass a bit more challenging than a Sleeve because the gastric bypass needs to have all of the small intestine freed up and mobile (it is likely to be tied down by adhesions at this time) whereas the Sleeve does not require the small intestine to be moved around.  In other words, I think there is some advantage to the Sleeve instead of gastric bypass in your case, but there may be other factors to take into account.

I believe it would definitely be worth your time to meet with an experienced bariatric surgeon in your area.  

Best of luck!
Dr JP

Bariatric Surgery

John Pilcher, MD