Bariatric Surgery/gastric sleeve complications

I had a gastric sleeve done in December 2012. I continued to have nausea and vomiting even though I was taking all of the necessary precautions to avoid dumping. For the last two weeks I have been in the hospital on an iv and eating absolutely nothing at all. Even though I am receiving 4 different nausea medications through an iv I continue to constantly vomit. The doctors have already conducted ct scans with contrast, endoscope and tested for leaks. At this time all of the doctors say that the tes t look good and they can't find what is wrong. Is it possibly that the surgery may have cut a nerve or something. Please help me  I am so very sick.

Hi Jan:

There usually is no dumping with the Sleeve because the pyloric valve is intact.  Still, it sounds like you are having a lot of trouble.  Unfortunately, I have no idea what might be possibly wrong with you.  I have no idea if cutting a nerve or anything would lead to such a thing.  It's strange that no meds are having any effect.  Perhaps it is not sleeve related?  Really, no idea.

You might want to try and contact some of the pioneers in bariatric surgery to see if they have any idea.  I know that Dr. Michel Gagner, who is in Quebec now and pioneered the VSG as part of a two-part DS, usually answers emails.  His email is   No idea if he could help, but perhaps you or your surgeons could try contacting him.  Another option would be to try and contact Dr. Raul Rosenthal at the Cleveland Clinic in Weston, FL.  Both have been doing the sleeve for quite some time.

Are there any other symptoms? There's a case of a guy having portal vein thrombosis...but he also had other symptoms.

Here's a relatively new article on a combination of meds that seemed to help...but it sounds like you're getting everything already.

I hope you find a solution soon.

Bariatric Surgery

Karla K.

I'm very familiar with the four main types of bariatric surgery: Lap-Band/Adjustable Gastric Band, Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, Roux-en-Y, and Duodenal Switch. I'm familiar with the Mini-Gastric Bypass and Revisions as well. I'm also beginning my seventh year post-op as a successful bariatric patient--so I can answer questions regarding pre-op, post-op honeymoon, and maintenance phases. I'm less familiar with the nuances of plastic surgery following bariatric surgery--but I do know a bit.

Have been an avid researcher of the science of obesity and bariatric surgery for over ten years now. My professional career used to involve medical device research.

Master's in Business Administration.