Bariatric Surgery/Do i qualify

Question
Would I qualify for gastric bypass. I am 60 years old 200 lbs and 5'1" tall. Have fought with my weight my entire life. When able to loose any weight have yo-yoed higher and higher in weight. I also have bad kness and ankles. Thank you

Answer
Age is inconsequential. General health will dictate whether you are at a high risk relative to the surgery but you don't mention your general health other than difficulty with bone structures. That height and weight give you a body mass index of 37.8. You should contact your health insurance company to determine if you qualify for the surgery. In many cases you must have co-morbidities (high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, etc.) to qualify for insurance coverage of the surgery and hospital care.

Good luck with your pursuit of a more healthy life style.  I am seven years post-op (RNY) and am maintaining a weight loss of over 180 pounds (383 down to 200).

Sincerely,
Steve

Bariatric Surgery

Steven West