Bariatric Surgery/3 years out bariatric surgery

Question
My surgery  went good health as I  ever been.
good felt  good looked good. until My stomach  started  hurting bariatric surgeon sent me to see a gastroenterologist Found  a ulcer Couldn't take the pills  like nexium Gave me Hard time breathing.Now I am on carafate It's  ok Ulcer still there. Now I  developed hypoglycemia. Blood sugar levels  are 30's sometimes  as high  as 250 I have been on so many  shots and pills   I eat sugar  pills gained  like 20lb back I worked  so hard ate all my proteins and still doing that still drink shakes do not drink with meals alcoholic beverage once in a while. Going crazy. interrupting my daily living.did everything I was supposed to do and this is what I get it's not fair. My Wight when I started  was 225 got down to 110.now 133.cant exercise like I want to cuz its cold here I miss my walks. But I eat right.  I do have a bite  of something  sweet once in a while. But  I   follow the  rules. I see a endocrinologist in Boston Tons of  blood  work. And still  no beter. I don't know how you can help. I was told to stop drinking my shakes but I need them give me more energy and as I can't go to the bathroom by myself anymore I have to have miralax everyday in my shake.my bariatric doctor doesn't even see me anymore I'm at a loss. Thanks  for listening.just want people to  know this surgery is not what it's cracked up to be.my question is is there a lot of people that has you Same  symptoms as I do and going to this kind of hell.

Answer
The answer to your final question is "no"; there are not a lot of people that have the same symptoms as you do and are going through this kind of hell.  I'm sorry that you are having so many difficulties, but I have some questions and then some suggestions.

What type of bariatric surgery did you have and how long after the surgery did you begin having ulcer problems?  I wonder this because it seems unusual that they didn't check for an ulcer before doing the surgery.  If it was several years after surgery that you developed an ulcer, then it seems that you should have surgery to repair the ulcer rather than just treating it with carafate.

Blood sugar levels are a concern.  Your endocrinologist should be able to help you stabilize them.  This should be your first and foremost concern.  I thank you for being truthful and mentioning that you "have a bite of something sweet once in a while" and that you have an "alcoholic beverage once in a while".  If your bariatric surgeon was worth his salt, he told you that you shouldn't have "something sweet" or any "alcohol" because they have no nutritional value.  You didn't go through the pain of the surgery and the recovery from the surgery so that you could indulge those desires; you went through that pain so that you could lose weight and live a longer and more productive, happy life.  So, stop that now and never do it again.  I know I can count on you because you do say, "I follow the rules".

Shakes are good, but food proteins are a must as well.  As you know, eggs, meat, fish and chicken are all excellent sources of protein.  Also nuts and legumes.  Stock up on those and put a few of the shakes back on the shelf or back in the fridge.

If your bariatric doctor doesn't see you any more, so what?  You've had the surgery already; you don't need him any more as long as you're following his directions for how you eat.  More likely, you need a dietitian to help you get back on track with what you should AND SHOULD NOT BE eating.

Starting now, document a mouth diary.  Everything that goes into your mouth gets written down.  Food, drink, solids, liquids, chewing gum, everything!  Document the amount, the date and the time.  If you have some strong emotions while you eat, write them down in the column at the edge of the paper.  If you're angry or sad or depressed or happy or jubilant - write it down.

At your next appointment with your family Doctor or your Endocrinologist, show them the diary and ask them to critique it for you.  You'll be pretty surprised if you've told the truth in your documentation.

By the way, the surgery is EXACTLY what it's cracked up to be.  It's nothing more than a tool to help you lose weight.  The surgery most likely didn't cause your ulcer.  Nor was it likely to have caused your hypoglycemia.  If you don't do what YOU'RE supposed to do, the surgery won't help.  I always tell people that if you don't change the way you live (THE WAY YOU LIVE) then all the pain of the surgery and the recovery is just masochism.

Hey, about the cold...  Unless there are weather advisories telling everyone to stay inside or die, bundle yourself up really good and get out there!  If you walk to the end of your block and you can't feel your fingers inside a pair of good gloves, turn around and go back inside your house.  At least you got in a walk to the end of the block, right?  Just do what you can safely.  But don't let winter give you an excuse to sit on the couch, have "something sweet" and wash it down with an "alcoholic beverage".

Sounds like I'm being tough on you?  Yes.  I am.  But from your question, I think you might need a little bit of that right now.  You're tougher than you let on.  You can get through this to the other side and you'll be happier that you did it your way.

So, now that you've read this, get up and get out...

And tell me how you're doing, ok?  Keep me informed because I'm interested and I care.

Always here for ya!

Steve

Bariatric Surgery

Steven West