Baseball Instruction/International Tie Breaker Rule

BretMan wrote at 2008-04-04 15:47:16
A simple way to determine this:

- Check the line-up to see who is the scheduled batter.

- The runner to place at second is the batter who's name appears immediately before his in the line-up.

From what rule set or rule book are you deriving this rule? If it is just something that your league is concocting, I suppose that you can interpret it any way you want.

But in rule sets where the Tie Breaker rule is in writting in their rule book, the above simple two-step procedure will always work. Place the person on second who is scheduled to bat last in that half-inning.

Paul Rossi wrote at 2008-08-22 05:03:25
The "last batted out" means the last batter who was put out (i.e. struck out, or thrown out).  Simply stated, it is the last batter who has completed his "at bat" who has not reached base safely.

The reason for this rule is that 1)it usually means that a lesser player is allowed to run the bases, and 2) in a tie-break, it usually means that a less athletic player is placed on 2nd base rather than a top player.

I am an umpire for USA Baseball and have umpired in seven international tournaments.  I am confident in this answer.  

Paul Rossi wrote at 2008-08-22 05:06:25
BretMan is wrong.  He does not understand the international tie-break rule.

The "last batted out" is the last player who has completed his at bat but who did not reach base safely (i.e. thrown out at some base, ot struck out).

Ian wrote at 2013-06-05 13:49:46
We are implementing the ITB into our league for playoffs and we have worded it as "the last batted player of the inning".

Good luck

UIC Cornette wrote at 2015-07-12 00:04:53
Unless it is a local park rule there is no such LBO rule in any sanctions of boys or coed ball. FPSB is where the LBO was first used and only sanction to actually have a LBO rule in a Book

UIC Cornette wrote at 2015-07-12 00:07:36
Unless it is a local park rule there is no such LBO rule in any sanctions of boys or coed ball. FPSB is where the LBO was first used and only sanction to actually have a LBO rule in a Book. But the local rules at Kids parks is the last person who batted the ball and did not reach first because he was put out.  

Baseball Instruction

Kevin Gallagher