Baseball Instruction/Quadruple steal

Mike Raftery wrote at 2011-03-27 04:25:33
Yep. I was at that game. 8/1/85 at Wrigley Field. It was in the first inning. Jody Davis threw down to 2nd to try to catch McGee off-guard. Coleman took off for the plate. They caught him in a rundown...but someone from the cubs chased him back to 3rd...threw the ball...Coleman put the brakes on and raced home. The cubs had no one to cover the plate. McGee went to 3rd. The only time 2 players ever had 2 stolen bases each on one play. The cubs had made no error...except a fundamental one...having no one to cover the plate at the end of the rundown. Unfortunately the cubs won in extra innings 9- 8.  

Kevin wrote at 2013-08-02 02:04:02
This did happen on August 1st 1985 with Willie McGee and Vince Coleman for the Cardinals against the Cubs!!

Baseball Instruction

Brian Flaspohler

Questions about baseball rules, general information about the game, statistical analysis, questions about players, questions about Baseball records. I am a member of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) and a lifelong baseball fanatic. Don't ask me questions about training - this is not my area of expertise.

Lifelong fan, article about player movement from team to team throughout history.