Baseball Instruction/DH must "come to bat at least one time"

Rule 6.10(b)(2) states:

"The Designated Hitter named in the starting lineup must come to bat at least one time, unless the opposing club changes pitchers."

What does "at least one time" mean? One full AT BAT or any pitched ball faced? Can DH be substituted after a 0-1 count (NO injury, manager's choice)?

They must come up to at bat.  There is no provision to require them to complete the entire at bat.  So I believe the manager can substitute for them after they have faced one pitch.

If the DH doesn't come up to bat, the position is lost and the pitcher must bat the remainder of the game (or be pinch hit for).

Sorry about the delay in answering - too much activity this holiday season!

Hope this helps.

Baseball Instruction

Brian Flaspohler

Questions about baseball rules, general information about the game, statistical analysis, questions about players, questions about Baseball records. I am a member of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) and a lifelong baseball fanatic. Don't ask me questions about training - this is not my area of expertise.

Lifelong fan, article about player movement from team to team throughout history.