Baseball Instruction/Balk ?

Question
Sir,  Can a NFHS rules pitcher in the set or stretch position, blow a bubble gum bubble in the before, during or relese of a pitch?  Pitcher in preset position.  Starts blowing a bubble gum bubble as he comes to set.  He pops bubble with mouth and then blows another as he goes into his motion, and pops it on the release.  Balk according to NFHS rules? I am an experienced umpire and have ruled a balk.  Never seen the ruling before.  I respect your opinion.  Thanks.

Answer
Thanks for the question....

Balk only relates to the pitcher & his actions regarding the pitching motion & the attempt to deceive a batter and/or base runner.  There is nothing in the rules regarding bubble gum, sun flower seeds, spitting in general, sneezing, coughing, etc.

Stay within the rule itself & do not read anything into it that does not belong....Buy the pitcher another pack of gum.

Again, thanks for the question.  Have a great day.

Andy

Baseball Instruction

Andrew Mullins