Baseball Instruction/Does the batter have to attempt to avoid being hit by a pitch?

Question
Question
In a high school baseball game...
Several batters were hit by pitches. Most were from nonbreaking pitches that weren't  that fast (changeups). A typical example: The batter froze allowing the pitch to hit him square in the hip. When I asked the umpire following the game, he claimed that the batter did not have to make any movement if the pitch was thrown right at him.

Question - Did the umpire rule correctly in this case?

Answer
Greg,

The batter must make an attempt to avoid getting hit, even if the ball is a clear ball.  If they just stand there, they are not supposed to be awarded the base.  This is clearly stated in the rulebook.

This is rarely enforced at any level - a shame really.

Hope this helps!

Brian

Baseball Instruction

Brian Flaspohler