Baseball Instruction/Dropped 3rd Strike and catcher throws to third...

Question
In a high school baseball game...
Runner at third, two outs, routine ground ball to the shortstop who fields it cleanly. The shortstop mistakenly throws the ball to the second baseman at second base. Batter is safe at first and the run scores.  I recorded this as a fielder's choice.  

Question - Should this have been recorded as an error by the shortstop for failong to throw the batter out at first base?

Thanks,
Greg

Answer
Greg,

It is specifically stated in the rules that an official scorer shall not record an error if the fielder throws to the wrong base. However, this doesn't fit any of the criteria for recording a fielder's choice because the fielder was not trying to put another runner out.  I believe this should have been scored as a base hit.

Hope this helps!

Brian

Baseball Instruction

Brian Flaspohler