Baseball Instruction/Dropped 3rd Strike and catcher throws to third...

In a high school baseball game...
Runner at third, two outs, routine ground ball to the shortstop who fields it cleanly. The shortstop mistakenly throws the ball to the second baseman at second base. Batter is safe at first and the run scores.  I recorded this as a fielder's choice.  

Question - Should this have been recorded as an error by the shortstop for failong to throw the batter out at first base?

It is specifically stated in the rules that an official scorer shall not record an error if the fielder throws to the wrong base. However, this doesn't fit any of the criteria for recording a fielder's choice because the fielder was not trying to put another runner out.  I believe this should have been scored as a base hit.

Hope this helps!

Baseball Instruction

Brian Flaspohler

Questions about baseball rules, general information about the game, statistical analysis, questions about players, questions about Baseball records. I am a member of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) and a lifelong baseball fanatic. Don't ask me questions about training - this is not my area of expertise.

Lifelong fan, article about player movement from team to team throughout history.