Baseball Instruction/Dropped 3rd Strike and catcher throws to third...

Question
In a high school baseball game...
The catcher dropped a third strike (passed ball) and mistakenly through the ball to third base. It was a low bad throw not fielded by the third baseman. The ball went to the shortstop who threw the ball to first base late.

Question - Should this be a error on the catcher for a bad throw?
Question - if the throw had been good to third, would it be an error on the catcher?

Thanks,
Greg

Answer
Greg,

A passed ball is only given to a catcher if a runner or the hitter/runner advances.  So in this case, give the catcher a passed ball and nothing else.  He would get a passed ball and an error if the runner ran to second on the bad throw.

Hope this helps!

Brian

Baseball Instruction

Brian Flaspohler