Baseball Instruction/Dropped 3rd Strike and catcher throws to third...

In a high school baseball game...
The catcher dropped a third strike (passed ball) and mistakenly through the ball to third base. It was a low bad throw not fielded by the third baseman. The ball went to the shortstop who threw the ball to first base late.

Question - Should this be a error on the catcher for a bad throw?
Question - if the throw had been good to third, would it be an error on the catcher?

A passed ball is only given to a catcher if a runner or the hitter/runner advances.  So in this case, give the catcher a passed ball and nothing else.  He would get a passed ball and an error if the runner ran to second on the bad throw.

Hope this helps!

Baseball Instruction

Brian Flaspohler

Questions about baseball rules, general information about the game, statistical analysis, questions about players, questions about Baseball records. I am a member of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) and a lifelong baseball fanatic. Don't ask me questions about training - this is not my area of expertise.

Lifelong fan, article about player movement from team to team throughout history.