Baseball Instruction/pick off move

Runner at first.  Left handed pitcher.  Pitcher gets the sign and comes set.  Without stepping back off the rubber or stepping towards first base the pitcher throws over to first.  Is this legal?

No, this is not legal. The pitcher must step with his non-pivot foot toward the base he is throwing to. Most umpires are instructed to look for "distance and direction" toward the base. In other words, the non-pivot foot must move closer to the base at an angle that is more toward the base than any other base.

Baseball Instruction

Andrew Senger

Anything related to baseball rules.

I am a baseball umpire. I am certified for High School (NFHS), and work in Missouri (MSHSAA). I umpire baseball from high school through adults, focusing mainly on high school-aged games.

NFHS - National Federation of High Schools MSHSAA - Missouri State High School Athletic Association GSLAU - Greater St. Louis Association of Umpires

I have attended numerous training lessons on umpiring. Many of these lessons including Rules Interpretations.

Mid-American Umpire Clinic - 2010