Baseball Instruction/Pool Player batting rules

When a team has enough players to play the game but still takes a pool player for substitution as they put it. Are they allowed to bat the whole game or is there a rule to where they are limited defense and offense as well?  This would be for 8 year olds.  Thanks!

The first major issue I see with this is the fact the team is requesting a pool player because they want a substitute.  Pool players should only be used if a team is having a trouble fielding nine players.

If a team is short but a 9th player arrives at the game site the team was expecting, we are not going to send the pool player home.  The only requirement is that the pool player bat at least once and play nine consecutive innings defensively (so three innings).

Pool players are also not allowed to pitch.

This is Little League Regulation V(c).

I hope this has helped.

-Martin Hoover

Baseball Instruction

Martin Hoover

Questions regarding the Rules and Regulations of Little League Baseball and Softball. Questions regarding the history and organization of Little League Baseball at local, state, regional, and international levels. Advise regarding certain operational procedures and recommendations to Local League representatives.

Volunteer Little League Umpire since 2000; 2003 Little League, Junior League, Senior League and Big League Softball European Regional Umpire; 2005 Little League Softball Western Regional Umpire; 2007 Junior Softball Western Regional Umpire; 2011 Little League Softball World Series Umpire; Hesperia National (Hesperia, CA) Little League Board of Directors (2003-2012); President- Hesperia National Little League Board of Directors (2005-2011); Little League District Administrator (2012-present).

Little League Baseball, Inc is the main operational center. I fall under Little League Western Region, and California District 49. I currently serve as a Little League District Administrator.

Western Regional Junior Umpire School(2000)(Named Outstanding Junior Umpire of the Western Region Area); Have instructed at numerous umpire schools & clinics.

Outstanding Junior Umpire of the Western Regional Area(2000)