Baseball Instruction/All Stars substitution rules

Hi Martin,

I am trying to get a handle on substitution rules for Int 50/70 all-stars.  Am I reading this correct.  All starters after being replaced by a sub may re-enter the game after the subs mandatory minimum playing time has been met as long as it's in the same place in the batting order they came out of when first replaced by a sub?  For ex. Little Joey is batting in the 4 spot (clean-up) and is replaced by Tommy in the 3rd inning, Tommy plays 6 outs and gets 1 at-bat.  If Little Joey were to go back into the game he basically has to replace Tommy in the 4 spot or whoever is hitting in the 4 spot at the time he goes back in as long as mandatory minimum playing time is met by the player he replaces.  Is this correct?  I know in regular season we are able to re-insert a player anywhere in the lineup.  I just wanted to get clarification on this.

Thanks a bunch and take care,

Tim Lockhart

You are correct in your situation.  An easy way to remember this is that a starter and their sub should not be in the lineup at the same time (unless there was an injury, which is covered in tournament rule 10(a)).

I hope this has helped.

-Martin Hoover

Baseball Instruction

Martin Hoover

Questions regarding the Rules and Regulations of Little League Baseball and Softball. Questions regarding the history and organization of Little League Baseball at local, state, regional, and international levels. Advise regarding certain operational procedures and recommendations to Local League representatives.

Volunteer Little League Umpire since 2000; 2003 Little League, Junior League, Senior League and Big League Softball European Regional Umpire; 2005 Little League Softball Western Regional Umpire; 2007 Junior Softball Western Regional Umpire; 2011 Little League Softball World Series Umpire; Hesperia National (Hesperia, CA) Little League Board of Directors (2003-2012); President- Hesperia National Little League Board of Directors (2005-2011); Little League District Administrator (2012-present).

Little League Baseball, Inc is the main operational center. I fall under Little League Western Region, and California District 49. I currently serve as a Little League District Administrator.

Western Regional Junior Umpire School(2000)(Named Outstanding Junior Umpire of the Western Region Area); Have instructed at numerous umpire schools & clinics.

Outstanding Junior Umpire of the Western Regional Area(2000)