Baseball Instruction/bunting

Question
if player has turned to bunt and keeps bat over plate (with some movement)and leaves it over the plate,and no contact is made is it up to the umpire to call it ball or strike, or is it a strike because the player left the bat over the plate?

Answer
Philip,

In order for a bunt to be considered a strike, the umpire must judge if the batter attempted to hit the ball with his bat. In most cases, a bat that doesn't move during a bunt attempt would not be considered a strike. However, you mentioned "some movement;" without details on what this movement is, I cannot tell you if it should be judged an attempt to hit the ball.

In general, if the bat is moved toward the ball in any way, it should be considered an attempt. There are, obviously, exceptions to this, which is why it's a judgement call by the umpire.

Baseball Instruction

Andrew Senger