Baseball Instruction/rulled out at first

With a throw to first does the ball just have to be in the glove or must the first baseman clinch/grab the ball to show possession. In a recent mlb preseason game the replay of a challenged call showed the runner raging the base as the ball was in the glove but prior to the first baseman showing any control of the ball.

A 'catch' is a ball securely possessed in the hand or glove of a fielder, and that the release of the ball is intentional.  In this instance, the fielder must have secure possession of the ball.  I haven't seen the play you are referencing so its hard to determine if the out should have been recorded.

It is also a judgement decision by the umpire if the ball is caught for this purpose.  While I am still getting familiar with the MLB replay rules, by understanding would be that it would not be reviewable in regards to when possession was made.

-Martin Hoover

Baseball Instruction

Martin Hoover

Questions regarding the Rules and Regulations of Little League Baseball and Softball. Questions regarding the history and organization of Little League Baseball at local, state, regional, and international levels. Advise regarding certain operational procedures and recommendations to Local League representatives.

Volunteer Little League Umpire since 2000; 2003 Little League, Junior League, Senior League and Big League Softball European Regional Umpire; 2005 Little League Softball Western Regional Umpire; 2007 Junior Softball Western Regional Umpire; 2011 Little League Softball World Series Umpire; Hesperia National (Hesperia, CA) Little League Board of Directors (2003-2012); President- Hesperia National Little League Board of Directors (2005-2011); Little League District Administrator (2012-present).

Little League Baseball, Inc is the main operational center. I fall under Little League Western Region, and California District 49. I currently serve as a Little League District Administrator.

Western Regional Junior Umpire School(2000)(Named Outstanding Junior Umpire of the Western Region Area); Have instructed at numerous umpire schools & clinics.

Outstanding Junior Umpire of the Western Regional Area(2000)