Baseball Instruction/balk

Question
Had this called a balk, need clarification. Runner on second, pitcher in stretch, he comes set. He then attempts a jump spin move. He spins, doesn't throw the ball, and remains in contact with the rubber. Is this a balk?

Answer
David,

There's a little saying in the umpire circuit: "It is impossible to balk to second base." And, in this case, the saying is correct. While faking to a base while in contact with the rubber is a balk in most circumstances, the mere act of spinning 180-degrees means the pitcher's foot moved from its position on the rubber while making the turn.

In your situation as given, I would not have called a balk.

Baseball Instruction

Andrew Senger