Baseball Instruction/Choosing all stars

Our little league board is planning to choose all 12 yr. olds ,regardless of performance, for all star 11-12, and to fill in with 11 year olds ,if necessary. Rather than choosing players on ability and dedication though the season. Is this a little league rule, or policy? Shouldn't players be chosen on ability, regardless of age.
Thank you for any help.

Little League has a recommended option on how to select tournament teams (located on pages T-2 & T-3 of the tournament rules).  In this option, they recommend that the players, division managers, division coaches, league officers and volunteer umpires all have a say in the selection process.  

However, final determination of how to select the tournament teams are left to the local league Board of Directors.

In your situation, I would ask if the league has any written guidelines for selecting a team (most leagues have this process written in their local league bylaws or ground rules).

If there is nothing written, the final decisions is once again left to the Board of Directors.

I hope this has helped.

-Martin Hoover

Baseball Instruction

Martin Hoover

Questions regarding the Rules and Regulations of Little League Baseball and Softball. Questions regarding the history and organization of Little League Baseball at local, state, regional, and international levels. Advise regarding certain operational procedures and recommendations to Local League representatives.

Volunteer Little League Umpire since 2000; 2003 Little League, Junior League, Senior League and Big League Softball European Regional Umpire; 2005 Little League Softball Western Regional Umpire; 2007 Junior Softball Western Regional Umpire; 2011 Little League Softball World Series Umpire; Hesperia National (Hesperia, CA) Little League Board of Directors (2003-2012); President- Hesperia National Little League Board of Directors (2005-2011); Little League District Administrator (2012-present).

Little League Baseball, Inc is the main operational center. I fall under Little League Western Region, and California District 49. I currently serve as a Little League District Administrator.

Western Regional Junior Umpire School(2000)(Named Outstanding Junior Umpire of the Western Region Area); Have instructed at numerous umpire schools & clinics.

Outstanding Junior Umpire of the Western Regional Area(2000)