Baseball Instruction/sacrifices

WHY is there no "sacrifice ground ball" in the same way as the sac fly and sac bunt?   if there is going to be a batting average allowance (i.e. the sac fly and sac bunt do not count as an at-bat) for a "sac fly" that scores a run,  why is there not a provision for a ground ball that accomplishes the same thing??  the rbi in those instances where the grounder scores the run is awarded...why is the AB not waived as it is with a sac fly?

That's the rulebook!  If I was guessing, I'd say the reason a ground ball isn't a sacrifice is because the batter is trying for a hit.  A sacrifice was meant as a way you give yourself up, and that really only happens on a bunt.  In fact, the real question should be why is a sacrifice fly a sacrifice?  They just happen to be lucky enough to hit a fly ball when someone is on third.

Baseball Instruction

Brian Flaspohler

Questions about baseball rules, general information about the game, statistical analysis, questions about players, questions about Baseball records. I am a member of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) and a lifelong baseball fanatic. Don't ask me questions about training - this is not my area of expertise.

Lifelong fan, article about player movement from team to team throughout history.