Baseball Instruction/FORCED OUT

Question
I JUST WATCHED A LITTLE LEAGE GAME WHERE THE THIRD BASE RUNNER WAS DECLARED SAFE, WITH THE BASES BEING LOADED, THE BALL WAS HIT FAIR, THE CATCHER HAD ONE FOOT ON THE HOME PLATE, THE BALL WAS FIELDED, THROWN TO THE CATCHER AND THE RUNNER WAS DECLARED SAFE, EVEN AFTER THE COACH QUESTIONED THE CALL AND THE UMPIRES CONFERED WITH EACH OTHER, STILL CALLING THE RUNNER SAFE BECAUSE HE WAS NOT TAGGED ????

Answer
Barry,

I don't see a question given, but I'll assume it's supposed to be "Were the umpires correct?" If so, given your explanation of the situation, they were not correct.

This does assume that the umpires' decision was that there wasn't a force out at home. It could just as likely be that the umpires judged that the catcher's foot wasn't on the plate when he caught the ball.

Without being there and seeing the situation myself, I cannot make a full decision on the umpire's call. However, with the facts you gave, I see no reason the runner was called safe.

Andrew

Baseball Instruction

Andrew Senger